• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just after a few opinions.

whytry50ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 but the 5.0 is on its way out of an 01 Explorer
Transmission
Manual
Im almost ready to start building my 302/5.0. I have been thinking a 347 kit. but if i do that i wont be able to afford the AFR heads im after. So im wondering what you guys think. A well built 302, with nasty AFR heads. Or a 347 with pretty stock heads? I can always go back and switch the heads. But im thinkin it gonna run like crap, with stock heads. Please let me know whatcha think.

Bubs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have never done this in a ranger before, but i have with alot of mustang motors. head flow is head flow. if it was me, I would build the 347 with 11:1 and a really big hyd roller cam, with ported windsor sr heads or something like that. look in ebay or craigslist and try to find some older, cheaper aftermarket castings. these can be had for pretty cheap used. and if you port them and put in some time, they will give you pretty much equal performance to the afr's. you can find used twisted wedge heads (assembled) for as cheap as 600 bucks. the twisted wedge head ported out will flow as much as the afr heads and they have a twisted wedge chamber, unlike the std chamber on the afr.

whytry50ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its funny, that you mention trick flow. I actually have the track heat series, upper and lowers. Thats what i was originally gonna go with. And i was gonna call the local "machine shop" That is also our hot rod spot, and see what they recomended for a cam. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
your sig says it all. Get the 347 stroker kit and then you can match heads from there in the future.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
'98' Ranger with I guess a 5.0L from an Explorer? Don't how much power you really are looking for. Using the Explorer motor with it's intake (ported by T. Moss), set of AFR 165 heads and a Comp Cam XE264HR-14 will give you close to 380HP at crank. I assume you are staying with EFI and Explorer computer. The one limiting factor with the later Rangers is the limited selection of headers. The best semi-customs are the Torque Monster ones that run about $780 and they are good for about 380 HP More custom than that is lible to run $1500 for a good set. Oh ya, think 11 to 1 is a little high compression in todays world for a DD.
Dave

Last edited:

whytry50ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
'98' Ranger with I guess a 5.0L from an Explorer? Don't how much power you really are looking for. Using the Explorer motor with it's intake (ported by T. Moss), set of AFR 165 heads and a Comp Cam XE264HR-14 will give you close to 380HP at crank. I assume you are staying with EFI and Explorer computer. The one limiting factor with the later Rangers is the limited selection of headers. The best semi-customs are the Torque Monster ones that run about $780 and they are good for about 380 HP More custom than that is lible to run $1500 for a good set. Oh ya, think 11 to 1 is a little high compression in todays world for a DD.
Dave
Yes its out of an 01 explorer. I was kinda hoping for 400+ but thats kinda a ball park figure. I was lookin at a 347 kit that says 400+ alone. i got the track heat series intakes from trick flow. And i was lookin at a built (dont know specifics about whats in there) set of AFRs. That a buddy ran on a 331 in a 94 GT, but the budget says not both. I also got a set of mac shorties, that im told will fit. but again, thats why im coming before the comittee that has paved the road. And the truck wont be a DD. It will spend most of its time in the garage. Or on a trailer. but it WILL be on the street. So as long as i can slay a few vettes, and look good doing it, thats all im really after.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's kind of why I asked some of the questions. With the later Rangers there are several limiting factors based on how much money you want to throw at it. First is the header factor. You can run carb or EFI but limited to the Torque Monster header unless totally custom. The MAC headers have never been used in the later Rangers that I know of but work good in Mustangs. 380 HP at crank is not bad, any more then you have to really start thinking about so many upgrades (cooling system, traction and drivetrain). Just throw a set of 4.10 or 4.88 gears in there. Traction will still be a problem.
Dave

whytry50ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's kind of why I asked some of the questions. With the later Rangers there are several limiting factors based on how much money you want to throw at it. First is the header factor. You can run carb or EFI but limited to the Torque Monster header unless totally custom. The MAC headers have never been used in the later Rangers that I know of but work good in Mustangs. 380 HP at crank is not bad, any more then you have to really start thinking about so many upgrades (cooling system, traction and drivetrain). Just throw a set of 4.10 or 4.88 gears in there. Traction will still be a problem.
Dave
Well thats a good point. But one i've covered. I am in the process of learning about 4 links. Thats in the budget. The cooling, and drive train are also covered. I have a be cool 3 core rad. and a tremmec tko. The small problem i have. Is that in my quest, for the SVT ranger, Ive blown the budget on everything else. leaving little left for the actual engine. Rookie move i know. But one ive made. And the 8.8, i have has a set of 4.10s. Leading to the decision for the 4 link. Now this header situation. Do you know where i might find custom headers? Ive never heard of "custom"

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're going to have to look for someone who can take the time to make them fit your chassis. Have no clue myself. Bob at Torque Monsters charged a guy $2000 to fit a set in his F-150 to get it all fit in. The "standard" Torque Monsters" are only 1 1/2" tube diameter. I assume you have seen how tight the tubes have to be to clear the suspension and other things.
Dave

whytry50ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nope im as green as they come. so as far as the 50 ranger. im glad im a member of such a community.looks like headers. might be another factor in the budget........ another thing i didnt plan for.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Torque Monsters look like this

Installed

Dave

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
My stroker kit cost me 2700.00-(block had to be bored .040 over,bad scratch in #1 cylinder, and assembly included in that price). Mine is the lightweight kit even though it will rarely see over 3000rpms. I used a set of '68 heads. Cost was 1300.00. Some porting and reworked the springs to match my cam. 10.5 to 1 compression. Never had it dyno'd though. I figure if thats not enough power I can always add deeper gears. Always remember HP cost money, the more you want, the more its gonna cost.

whytry50ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Heres some good news. Just found out about a nice little "saftey bouns" were getting at work. I guess that means 347 the afr heads and some new headers. IM pretty excited. Ill keep yall posted.

Ty

whytry50ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, The 347 kit came in today. I got an Eagle crank, and connecting rods. And Mahle pistons, and rings. I got a motorsport x303, billet harmonic balancer, and billet flywheel. Local machine shop is gonna bore, balance the lower half. The AFR heads are still the plan. But if i can find a better fit for a better deal. Ill go that way. But heres the pic of crank a piston and a rod.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals