• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just a few Ques..

powerplantranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This weekend I was on the National seashore and drove a total of 50 miles on 4wd in some extremely soft sand.. Engine (2.9) started to show signs of wanting to overheat, and at one point I went thru some wash board tracks and 3 of my six spark plug wires just jumped off the plugs at one time :dntknw:. After placing them back on I realized it was maybe just time to replace them as they seemed loose. As far as the overheating I'm guessing that a new radiator for a 4.0 is in order.

Plus, I'm wondering, having 3.73 gears, if I change them to 4.10 will I see any difference in how the truck runs thru the sand or will it be the same? I have 30's on it..

Thanks

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Gears won't help capability really, you'll have a better crawl ratio and drivability will be better though.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
gears will help you out, so will the radiator, the gears will help you some it will change rpm range a little as well as how much you truck has to work, the radiator will help from the increase in cooling capacity alot its almost twice the size of the factory one that year,

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, when the engine makes the torque it makes more heat. When the gears make the torque the engine makes less heat. I have lots of experience at churning for hours through sand and it takes a lot of power to get through it. A lower gear will definately help--but maybe driving in a lower gear would be enough. Really for that a gear change is only needed if you can't stand either of the gears you have. I would just drive in the next lower gear and not bother with the expense of changing the axles.

powerplantranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would just drive in the next lower gear and not bother with the expense of changing the axles.
Will,

When you say gears you're talking about the transmission gears right, if so I have an auto and leaving it in 1st would not be benificial for the long haul of 126 miles round trip on that beach, espicailly with the size of the fuel tank. I guess I'm not following completely when it comes down to it though. I might need it in a little plainer english, seriously.

Radiator -- yes
Gears -- :huh:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
If you re-gear it, I'd think about going to 4.56 instead. 3.73 to 4.10 isn't much of a difference.

Also wider tires and airing down help improve traction on the sand.

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Rad

I shit canned the stock rad from my 88 2.9 auto and installed a new 4.0 rad, best thing I ever did for the truck.

Here in Nevada it get's hot in the summer and I wheel in comfort with the A/C on ... :derisive:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
How often do you wheel? A bigger radiator (like what they've suggested) and going to 2nd gear (as opposed to 1st) on your auto would be better. If you're worried about running out of gas, then get a couple 5 gallon gas cans and throw em in the bed.

As for tires on sand, my buddies and I have noticed (in Galveston beaches) that all-terrains (like BFG A/T) are best suited. Wide stance, and they don't dig in to bury you. Easier to work with, and your engine as well...

Perhaps someone with a Gen 2 can comment whether or not a 10.5 or 11.5" tire would work better for footprint & fender fitment.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Wait! Just looked at your profile...you're here! I have some Aggie friends from La Vernia HS...what sand do you get into? Where you wheel at?

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have lots of experience at churning for hours through sand
do tell, I'm guessing it involves a 5ton and a howitzer?

powerplantranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know that it was stupid asking the question, considering that I live in sand, of course it nothing like the sand on a beach. My wheeling consist of PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) and the farm, other than that, it's on the road or sittin'.

My only concern with 4.56s is fuel comsumption. How much would it drop?

Maybe I should just upgrade to a 8.8 with 4.10's already in it and swap the Dana 28 for a 35. Think I'd be better off?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
My only concern with 4.56s is fuel comsumption. How much would it drop?
your rpm's at 65 wouldn't be friendly with a 30" tire.

but as far as sand is concerned i've found i have a lot more traction in high range than low(you tend to dig down in low,rather than forward).so the 4.56's would be a plus in that you would have power enough at the tire to stay in high range. and the motor/trans would run cooler.

4.10 would be a good compromise though as the highway rpm's would be ok and you can find factory geared axles with 4.10's for probably less than regearing your axles.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
PowerPlant, I sent you a PM.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
4.10 D35s seem to be getting harder to find these days though, unless you want a D28/35 hybrid. You could probably get away with that, it doesn't sound like you crawl real hard or anything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals