• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Junkyard Long travel Suspension

Bentley528

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i am wondering if it was posible to put f150 arms on a ranger to be longer and give it lift with the f150 springs plus the f150 differental should be stronger right is this possible with little to no fabrication

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no....needs alot of fab work and steering work to make it happen....need to fab new coil buckets that are wider, and new pivot brackets...possibly a custom center axle shaft...

the F150/FS Bronco does have better hubs/lockouts/brakes....but the gain in diff strength is negligable...compared to a D35

if ya want the stronger outer hubs/lockouts/brakes there is an article in the Tech Forum on the swap onto D35 beams

l8r, John

Bentley528

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well could i do a sas for under $200 not counting the axle and what vehicle should i get the axle from that wouldnt be to wide and has a good rear axle cuase ill prolly swap both so i can have the same bolt pattern at all four wheels plus the upgraded rear end to anything better than the 7.5

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
don't think you could do a SAS for under $200....unless you get creative...

not sure exactly what you intend to do with the truck, wheel size, etc....

for a narrow axle for 35" + tires, best bet is a Early Bronco D44 and 9"....

if ya wanna stay 33" and smaller...could go with a D30 out of a jeep and a 8.8 out of a 4.0 Ranger or better yet a 95+ Expo ( has 31 spline axles and disc brakes ) and could still use your factory rims....

if ya tell us where ya live and what kind of use the truck will be for....make it easier to give ya clearer answers....

l8r, John

Bentley528

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ohio mudding and winter plowing i want to do maybe 33s but maybe 35s dont know just want it to be strong and sit tall plus rangers are cheaper around here then f150s and cheaper on gas

Bentley528

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i can get pretty creative ill prolly go to my uncle to get the parts he scraps a lot so ican get the parts cheap just gotta wait for the right vehicle i was thinking a cheroke front axle to keep the springs and stuf just lossing the ttb setup plus that should be a lot easier right

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
arent all eb 9" axles 28 spline? Id rather have the 31 spline 8.8
I dont think a cherokee d30 will hold up very well to plowing, let alone blasting through mud.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah your TTB axle (D35) is significantly stronger than a Cherokee axle. Get a set of airbags that go inside the coils if you're going to hang a snowplow off the front. Then you can boost it up with it on, and let it out when you take it off for the summer.

Bentley528

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i want to lift and i also want to do a sas swap becuase i heard its cheaper to lift a sas than a ttb setup cause i could make my sas for fullsize leafs and that would get me a higher lift right pluss that would help with the plow thats just my guessing but you guys proly know more than me

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Well, I guess it depends on where you're sourcing the parts from, whether the axle you get has a matching gear ratio, and how much you're paying for everything else needed to mount it under your truck (new steering linkage, bushings/links/brackets, possible driveshaft modification, etc.).
If you do SAS it, don't use anything less than a D44 axle. This way you won't be going backwards in strength.
Being you already have coils under your truck, it would also be easier to keep it as a coil setup than to switch everything out to leafs.

Used TTB lifts often can be had for under $150 if you look around some, new ones start around $450 and go up from there.

Bentley528

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i just dont have that kind of money to lifrt the truck i can make my own leaf mounts and things like that out of steel but i cant afford to buy a ttb lift i could prolly get a set of springs from my uncle of like 25 bucks and make my mounts for like 20 and get my shackle kit at autozone for 20 and then im just left finding an axle housing cheap what vehicle had the dana 40 i thought thats what jeeps came with the dana 40 up front or am i thinking of another vehicle what vehicles came with coil spring solid axle

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Jeep Wagoneers 1980-1991 (?) have a driverside diff D44 These are leaf sprung (under). Also the early Ford Broncos 1971-1977 have a suitable D44 (coil suspension), although these are quite scarce nowadays.
Another option is to get a D44 from an F-150 (also coils) and narrow it down 6" to match your Ranger's width.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
IF you get the D44 from a Waggy, MAKE SURE not to get the crappy 81-85 with the "mushroom" sticking out of the diff. There is NO aftermarket support for this turd, it uses a "disconnect" type axle set-up that is hard to find parts for, and you can't lock it up like a normal axle because of the Disco. The only thing that this is good for other than junk, is the knuckles, brakes, gears, long side shaft and the stubs.
Oh, and make sure that you get the "narrow trac" version (60"). The fender flare will be maybe 2 fingers wide, while the 65" monster is the better part of a full hand in width.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals