• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Junkyard 4.0l

chewy97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2003 4.0l ranger super cab with manual transmission and 4.10 gearing that is in need of a head gasket or a new head, I picked up a junk yard motor for a decent price. I am planning on pulling a camper with the truck that has a gvw of no more than 4500lbs. Is there any upgrades I can do to the junkyard motor before I do the swap to help it tow easier I live in the mountains of Pennsylvania we have some steep hills to climb if that helps with upgrades? I haven't decided if I am going to do a complete rebuild or just put it in and hope for the best with any suggested upgrades.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2005 and older 4.0l SOHC engines need to have the newer design timing chains and cassettes installed

You will also want to install new rear main seal(front seal will be new with timing chain kit), new Knock sensor, and maybe a new thermostat housing, they leaked.

Not sure the manual trans towing weight will be "legally" high enough for you, the truck itself won't have any problem with the weight, it's the "legal" part, Ford towing guide will have those weights.

Automatics have a higher "legal" towing limit, I believe this has to do with downhill speed and possible "runaway" problems with novice drivers.
A manual can be shifted out of gear and then novice driver may not be able to get it back into a lower gear to slow down, automatics don't have that issue.
An idiot is still an idiot, just safer for the rest of us if they are driving an automatic :)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals