• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

jg09's 1991 Ford Explorer

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First off, let me say, I'm sorry that I don't have pics. I finally got my gf's camera and took tons of pics today, only to realize that I didn't get the cord, too. However, I'll sum up days 1-3 of owning and working on the truck, and get some pics up tomorrow night.

Day 1 (March 2, 2010)
On day 1, i picked up the Explorer. It was parked under a tree and covered in moss and pine needles. Plus, the front wheels and tires had been stolen! It wasn't pretty, but the body was straight and the owners had the paperwork for the transmission being rebuilt only a couple months ago. Over $1500 spent on it! However, the headgaskets were "bad" as I was told. I didn't know how bad, but I'd find out a little later.

I brought up the spare off my '92 Explorer, as well as one of its other wheels and we swapped tires around so that the best tires were on the back. With that done, we loaded it onto a car dolly and took at back to my place. To my surprise, after swapping batteries, the '91 fired up. It ran like crap, but it fired up. I put air in the tires and drove a couple blocks to the gas station. No big issues, so I drove a few more miles to my old high school. In the process, a radiator hose slipped off and the truck overheated. Not a good sign, but fortunately, I caught my old shop teacher right before she left and I refilled the radiator with a hose at the school. My roommate was with me and I tell him to see how much bubbling he sees from the radiator fill hole when I start the motor. I started up the truck only to see a wall of water fly from the truck.

We limped the truck back home where I checked the oil. Sure enough, it was a light caramel color. I guess the previous owners weren't lying when they said the headgaskets were bad! It was later in the day and I didn't want to do much, so I replaced little things like windshield wipers, door lock pulls, and I put another wheel from the '92 on.

Day 2 (March 3, 2010)

Day 2 wasn't very productive. I was extremely busy that day, so all I did was give it a quick bath to get the moss and scum off of it. I was surprised to find near perfect paint. With the straight body, this truck was looking good from the outside. The interior, however, is a different story. It's moldy, things are broken, and it smells like someone was smoking a lot of pot in the back seats.

I also found out the cause of it's poor engine performance. Besides having blown headgaskets, 2 of the spark plug wires came unplugged.

Day 3 (March 4, 2010)

Today was a good day. I took out all the seats in both Explorers. The '92 has clean leather seats, so my mission was to put them in the '91. I quickly learned that Ford changed the seat rail design from '91 to '92 (the '91 rails have BRONCO 2 stamped into the sides, or at least mine did). So I had to do a rail swap. If you're just swapping the rails, I CANNOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS. You won't be able to install the seat belts EXACTLY the way that ford designed them. They still function the same, but they do not work the original way intended.

Continuing on, though, I swapped the seats so now I have blue carpet and plastics with grey leather seats. It's really not a bad combo. I also installed a glove box to replace the broken one. The new glove box is also grey, and that looks VERY goofy, but I'll replace it again sometime later. When I went to install the '92's old chrome exhaust tip on the '91, I quickly found out how bad the exhaust system is rusted. It's completely rusted through behind the mufflers, and the over-the-axle part of the pipe is mangled. As I recall, however, the '92 doesn't have anything after the mufflers, and it sounds stock still, so i'm not too concerned.

Plans for the near future:
clean the seatbelts/steering wheel
Finish swapping tires/wheels (one is stuck to the '92, making it rather difficult)
Swap t-case shift motors
Cut out bad section of exhaust piping

PICS COMING SOON!

Last edited:

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
day 4 (march 5, 2010)

STILL FORGOT THE CAMERA CORD! I didn't get much accomplished today. I swapped the 1 piece intake boot from the '92 onto the '91. I also found out that the motor mounts are shot. For the amount of work that I'll need to do, it'll be easier to just put the '92 engine into the '91. So it looks like that'll be the way the project goes. The starter in the '91 also started going out today.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
dude need some pix it will be sick when you are done

Last edited:

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, as promised, pics!

after a quick scrubbing to get the moss off

it was COATED in this stuff

the '91 hanging out with the '92 parts truck

GROSS!!!! i still have to clean this

someone slammed the door too hard after the hinge pins went to crap! both the front doors are like this

while i work on my new ford, my roommate works on his new ford! lol

seats out!

'92 seat on '91 rails

seat mounted. note the color combo. it really doesn't look bad with the blue carpet

that's all i've got for now. more pics later as i do more to it!

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Days 5 & 6 (March 6-7, 2010)

I'm sad to say, that I did absolutely NOTHING to either Explorer. however, i made a goal and a schedule. I'd like to have at least one motor out by wednesday. I'm working on making sure i have the tools and equipment to do so.

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have found the direction that i'll be going with this build!

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
day 7 (march 8, 2010)

today, i started labeling and unplugging the wiring harness on the '91. I'm starting to get sick, though, so i'm not sure that i'll be able to get an engine out by wednesday. my roommates are getting REALLY sick with some sort of flu, so i'll probably get that, too. pics when i can get my roommate's laptop. my laptop doesn't like to upload pics.

btw, most pics after today will be from my cellphone. i can bluetooth pics to my laptop, so it'll be faster. pics with important details will be high rez still.

Also, I'm going to be buying the lowering springs that the explorer in the pic above has. the owner installed different springs and will sell me the springs and blocks i need. I'll even get the opportunity to go down to him and install them with him, as well as see his rig in person!

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If you wasn't so far away I'd have got the leftover body from you when you were done...I'm looking for something just like that for my new project build
SVT

retep88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
what is wrong with the 92 that you are trying to fix up the 91?

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what is wrong with the 92 that you are trying to fix up the 91?
The transmission is destroyed and the body is pretty beat up.

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
Well good luck with it.

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i lost internet at my house, so i haven't been able to update what i've done. However, due to sickness and rainy weather, I haven't done anything, so you guys haven't missed out on anything.

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finally! Updates! I've decided to just do the headgaskets on the '91's motor, despite it having 100k miles more than the '92 motor. It isn't difficult, just time consuming. Today, I got the upper and lower intake manifold off, the alternator, power steering, and a/c pumps, and the valve covers, as well as pull a few head bolts out. I also spent $266 on a complete gasket set for the motor, a bunch of Quaker State oil, anti-freeze, an oil filter, and a thermostat.

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
More updates: Got the heads out this morning (didn't really work on it yesterday) and put the new gaskets in, just have to torque the heads down. I'm getting a water pump and timing chain, but debating whether or not I want to install them now. I also got a nice surprise when I saw how nice the engine looks inside. It looks like it got cared for by previous owners.

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it runs!!!! i assembled everything and it runs again! just not very well. don't know why, i'll look into it though. but it runs and it drove about 50 feet today. so did the black '92. they're now hanging out in the driveway together

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals