• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

James Duff springs

94LIMITED

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How do the james duff coil springs ride compared to the skyjacker springs?

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Skyjacker all the way. I'm not a fan of Duff products especially the springs.

hondaridr24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have the james duff and they are fine

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I've had both, and they both ride pretty decent. I think I like the Skyjackers a little bit more, but the Duffs certainly weren't terrible, and still flexed well.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Duff springs are about 400ppi compared to 500ppi for the stock ones. They are for highspeed use more than anything. The whole kit was originally designed for that kind of use I think. With the double shocks and those coils I could have road-raced my truck. The long arms help the vehcile stay in alignment on high-G turns on the road course. For an average offroad truck they are too stiff and the shock mounts aren't far enough apart for what's available. I would not buy the new Duff kit because I don't see how you can work within the confines of that shock setup. On the old kit I moved the hoops to use longer shocks. You spend your money for the rest of the parts but the coils don't let you use the improved geometry. I won't say Skyjacker is better because each vehicle needs a different coil. But to me Duff looks like they developed the original kit from their stadium truck and Skyjacker is a more offroad type of kit. I do love my old DUff radius arms and they do make good drop brackets. The new kit, I don't think so. I liked the old hoops.

One thing about the DUff springs. They are supposedly variable rate springs. This is not exactly true. Some of the coils are closer together, but they do not touch at rest. The only time they touch is when you crash down hard on them. For most of us, they are single rate coils. For a stadium truck, that's great--it won't bottom out.

Last edited:

np205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like duff stuff but not there coil springs. I went to skyjacker 6" springs in the front from duff 5.5". A lot smoother ride

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals