• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

James Duff SAS

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I am currently collecting parts to do a 44/9 SAS on my 94 sport. The goal is to build a low COG stable streetable crawler.

The plan is to use the James Duff(JD) Radius arms on the front w/ the full width 44 (79 F150). The axle I have is the cast style knuckle w/ cast wedges and I am unable to move the wedges inside and reuse the standard coil buckets. I have done alot of research over that past couple years but am still unsure about a couple things most of this stems from not being able to view photobucket images anymore. My plan is to use this set up because of my limited fabrication skills.

Does anyone have any gripes about the JD radius arms? So far everyone I have talked to love them.

Does anyone have experience w/ this setup, and can share some advice of what they did for upper/lower coil buckets(photos are very welcomed)? JD has these Coil Buckets (Full Width Axle Offset Coil Buckets 1966-77 Classic Early Ford Bronco) has anyone used them?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Are you set on running full width axles for sure? You can narrow that D44... that's what I have in mine... the long side was narrowed to early Bronco width. F150 shaft on the short side, EB shaft on the other.

I used stock radius arms and lower buckets. I also used EB upper coil towers... although looking back I should have used something else. None of the Duff SAS swap parts were available when I did my swap.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I have a rig with eb axles and one with full width.

I would never narrow a 60. Maybe a 44.

I like full width much more.

Spacing out the coil towers or a tower kit from ruffstuff will solve the issue.

Or narrowing to shelf spec factory size shafts like mentioned is decent way to go.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have thought about narrowing the FW to EB specs but have settled on using FW and low offset wheels to get the stance I am hoping for. I will look into the ruffstuff coil options.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Narrowing the front also opens up the potential of using an Explorer 8.8... they are very strong, cheap, readily available and much easier to set up than say, a narrowed 9".

If I ever do another SAS, I will not be using coil springs or leaf springs either for that matter, in the front anyway. I've been kicking around the idea of building another crawler out of my 2 door Explorer and will use either coilovers or ORIs... I think it will simplify a lot of things.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals