• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

It just won't go!

charlos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
I give it gas and it barely chuggs up to 20 mph. The idle is fine. 2 shops say the engine is good and the compression is good but they can't figure out what's wrong. I've got too much money and time to just scrap it and I don't know if putting a new engine in it would work. Any ideas?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Maybe.
What engine is it? Did the problem just appear suddenly or gradually get worse? Is it all stock or modified?

charlos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
It's a 2.3 L. Stock but I've kept it up. Had a bad spark plug that i thought was bad gas. When i got it to the shop it was struggling so bad the catalectic converter was glowing orange. Had all new plugs, wires, and a new converter replaced. Drove fine for several weeks but had a backfire like sound from the engine if i hit the gas hard. Then it started slowing down like before. I can barely go 20 mph.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can you open the fuel line and get some of your gas into a clear glass cup or bottle?
Sounds like it's something that's throwing burned fuel, or whatever is in it, at the converter

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
It sounds rich. What is your fuel pressure?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
A vacuum reading, I believe, should tell you if your cat is plugged up or not. Struggling to make any sort of speed and a red hot converter are signs it may be clogged.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Codes??

txsleds

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
@charlos Many of the videos deal with vehicles other than Ford Ranger. The information regarding the testing of the parts is applicable to all vehicles and worth the time to watch.

Ditto what @Blmpkn noted above. Test the catalytic converter pressure by removing the O2 sensor. Auto Parts Stores often loan or rent these gauges and tools. You will need to remove the O2 sensor, and the first video shows exactly how to do replace it on your engine. Great Videos here:
and here:

If the pressure is high going into the catalytic converter, remove it and clean it. You may be able to save yourself $200. Great video here:

If the pressure is normal (low) going into the catalytic converter, take a close look at the tail pipe and muffler. Check to see if the exhaust pipe or muffler is clogged with rust or crushed causing a high backpressure. Inspect and replace as required. Use an OEM specified muffler. Here's why:

If the catalytic converter IS clogged, next find out what is causing it to become clogged. If you have to replace the catalytic converter and do not first repair the cause of it clogging up, the new converter will also clog up.

Check to see if your PCV valve is worn out allowing excessive oil blow by. If you shake it and it the ball check valve inside is free, it is probably good. Check it closely for cracks and clogging. When in doubt, replace it for $10.
Great Video here:
and Another Great Video here:

Check to see if the EGR Valve is stuck. If so, clean it. Great video here:

Shop said compression is fine; did they perform both a Dry and Wet Compression test to check for worn rings? You may have thirty year-old pistons pumping excessive oil blow by into the exhaust manifold and clogging the catalytic converter.
Great video here:

Clean the Catalytic Converter Great video here:

Clogged Fuel Filter causing poor fuel pressure? Change the filter, inspect the fuel line for leaks and/or pinched areas. Replace any rubber Fuel Hose as they deteriorate and clog up. Be sure to use Fuel Line Hose, not vacuum hose.
Great Video here:

Now check the fuel pressure. READ THESE FIRST: Part 2 -How to Test the Fuel Pump (1990-1997 2.3L Ford). (troubleshootmyvehicle.com) and Great thread noted from last year - very informative: (2) 2.3L ('83-'97) - 1995 Ranger 2.3 manual trans fuel pressure question. | The Ranger Station Fuel pressure specific to your engine: The 2.3L SOHC (1989 - 1997) Fuel Pressure 30 - 40 psi noted here: Ford Ranger 4-Cylinder Engines - The Ranger Station
Great videos here:
and here:

Find the 1991 Aerostar Explorer Ranger Truck Shop Manual on ebay here: 1991 Ford Aerostar Explorer Ranger 2 Book Set Factory Shop Truck Shop Manual SK4 | eBay Very Reasonable - Make an offer.

These are tests you can do to find out why your catalytic converter is so hot and your engine is performing so poorly above idle speed. Many people have no idea about these other parts of the exhaust system.
NOTE: Lots of people sell customers catalytic converters they did not clean them or need and their vehicle still runs poorly. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

charlos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
A vacuum reading, I believe, should tell you if your cat is plugged up or not. Struggling to make any sort of speed and a red hot converter are signs it may be clogged.
REplaced the cat already.

charlos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
@charlos Many of the videos deal with vehicles other than Ford Ranger. The information regarding the testing of the parts is applicable to all vehicles and worth the time to watch.

Ditto what @Blmpkn noted above. Test the catalytic converter pressure by removing the O2 sensor. Auto Parts Stores often loan or rent these gauges and tools. You will need to remove the O2 sensor, and the first video shows exactly how to do replace it on your engine. Great Videos here:
and here:

If the pressure is high going into the catalytic converter, remove it and clean it. You may be able to save yourself $200. Great video here:

If the pressure is normal (low) going into the catalytic converter, take a close look at the tail pipe and muffler. Check to see if the exhaust pipe or muffler is clogged with rust or crushed causing a high backpressure. Inspect and replace as required. Use an OEM specified muffler. Here's why:

If the catalytic converter IS clogged, next find out what is causing it to become clogged. If you have to replace the catalytic converter and do not first repair the cause of it clogging up, the new converter will also clog up.

Check to see if your PCV valve is worn out allowing excessive oil blow by. If you shake it and it the ball check valve inside is free, it is probably good. Check it closely for cracks and clogging. When in doubt, replace it for $10.
Great Video here:
and Another Great Video here:

Check to see if the EGR Valve is stuck. If so, clean it. Great video here:

Shop said compression is fine; did they perform both a Dry and Wet Compression test to check for worn rings? You may have thirty year-old pistons pumping excessive oil blow by into the exhaust manifold and clogging the catalytic converter.
Great video here:

Clean the Catalytic Converter Great video here:

Clogged Fuel Filter causing poor fuel pressure? Change the filter, inspect the fuel line for leaks and/or pinched areas. Replace any rubber Fuel Hose as they deteriorate and clog up. Be sure to use Fuel Line Hose, not vacuum hose.
Great Video here:

Now check the fuel pressure. READ THESE FIRST: Part 2 -How to Test the Fuel Pump (1990-1997 2.3L Ford). (troubleshootmyvehicle.com) and Great thread noted from last year - very informative: (2) 2.3L ('83-'97) - 1995 Ranger 2.3 manual trans fuel pressure question. | The Ranger Station Fuel pressure specific to your engine: The 2.3L SOHC (1989 - 1997) Fuel Pressure 30 - 40 psi noted here: Ford Ranger 4-Cylinder Engines - The Ranger Station
Great videos here:
and here:

Find the 1991 Aerostar Explorer Ranger Truck Shop Manual on ebay here: 1991 Ford Aerostar Explorer Ranger 2 Book Set Factory Shop Truck Shop Manual SK4 | eBay Very Reasonable - Make an offer.

These are tests you can do to find out why your catalytic converter is so hot and your engine is performing so poorly above idle speed. Many people have no idea about these other parts of the exhaust system.
NOTE: Lots of people sell customers catalytic converters they did not clean them or need and their vehicle still runs poorly. Hope this helps.

charlos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Wow! You gave me a lot to work with. Not a mechanic so I didn't know what questions to ask. Now I have some direction to go. I've got too much in my little Texas Ranger to scrap it!

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
fwiw, you need to take Scotty Kilmer with a grain of salt, because he goes on occasional rants that are not supported by the facts. imho, there are a lot better sources on the web. I would start with fordtechmakuloco.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals