• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Issues with insurance for lifted truck

bowturkey

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 4.0
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 Plan on 302
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
15”
Tire Size
35/12.5/15
There are some insurance companies that don't want to touch insuring my truck being lifted it increases the roll over factor. I am at a point where I now am going to put in a v-8 . Do I have to worry about insurance ? I don't want to put a lot of time and money into it and not be able to get it insured. Insurance is getting like the rest of the country they want to tell you what we can't do . Would appreciate any info.
Thanks,
BOWTURKEY

TimR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am sure Someone will insure it... Problem is, will you be willing to afford it?

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Why? I have never had any insurance look at my cars, all they need is a vin number and your money. Now in an accident situation you might find trouble.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Did you tell them it was a lifted truck? Do they have to view your truck before a policy is issued?? If not, how will they know until you crash it?
So...I hope you are NOT going to be one of the idiots that run around uninsured? If you cause an accident and you disable or kill somebody you will be paying them or their family for life...you don't want that!!!! Lots to think about. Try another company, Bro.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, by the way, here in Florida if you don't have insurance on your vehicle you can't renew your tag. If you get caught driving without insurance (or a tag) it will cost you a ton of money. Try a no-fault insurance company and see what they say about your truck...worth the try.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, by the way, here in Florida if you don't have insurance on your vehicle you can't renew your tag. If you get caught driving without insurance (or a tag) it will cost you a ton of money. Try a no-fault insurance company and see what they say about your truck...worth the try.

In Florida an estimated 50% of drivers are uninsured or grossly underinsured.
The uninsured ones go to a site like "The General" make a small downpayment . then take their proof to DMV and get their tags. They don't make another payment......chances are great that they won't get caught and lose their license.
Because Florida has so many illegal immigrants, always have UNINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE.
In my opinion lifted trucks really aren't safe enough as daily drivers, can't believe insurance companies won't offer coverage. I have seen what happens when lifted trucks have to make evasive action.....they end up on their side or lid.
Yor credit rating affects into insurance rates too.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i work for an insurance company, so let me see if i can clarify some things.

insurance policies are set by your state's DOI-department of insurance, NOT individual insurance companies. all insurance policies are the same with each company....deductables, rates, endorsements can differ.

with an auto policy, you'll be able to get seperate endorsements for it, depending on which company you choose to go with. the company i work at has an endorsement called something like "auto customizing equipment-audio, visual"....i dont remember exactly what it is. (i work in towing and glass claims, so i dont handle that stuff.) i've studied over our policies b/c i'm gonna need one once i put the lift and new tires on my b2.

the first thing a company would do in a wreck is run an estimate on what you're truck is worth. with yours being a 1992, it's not gonna be worth more than $2k-$3k, regardless of what you have on it. the formula for figuring out a cars worth is ACV-depreciation=value where ACV=actual cash value. so on a 92, the depreciation would be significant. the program they use isnt kelly blue book either, it's usually a different program and i've found that it's usually a lot higher than what the blue book says. with most companies you can buy an endorsement that will pay you ACV if the vehicle is wrecked or totalled. it's more expensive though.

of course people are hesitant about insuring a lifted truck. there's much more risk on lifted vehicle. when you're front bumper comes up to the roof of a honda accord, even a low speed wreck can be deadly to the people in the honda. you wind up taking someone's head off or causing them to be paralyzed for life and the insurance company ends up paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical payments to them, if not millions.

you want to pay as little as possible and then get everything that you've put back into the truck if something happens and it just does not work that way. you get exactly what coverage you are paying for with insurance, no more, no less.

the more important thing than having UNINSURED motorist coverage is having UNDERinsured motorist coverage. lots of people out there have coverage, but A LOT dont have near enough.

bottom line, you want to insure your lifted truck and get close to what you put into it, you're gonna have to pay for it.

1freaky1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here in Colorado some companies want you to get an appraisal done on vehicle to cover what all has been modified before they will insure the it and still there are some companies that do not want the hassles of insuring a modified vehicle. Just another thing to check into.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
In Florida an estimated 50% of drivers are uninsured or grossly underinsured.
The uninsured ones go to a site like "The General" make a small downpayment . then take their proof to DMV and get their tags. They don't make another payment......chances are great that they won't get caught and lose their license.
Because Florida has so many illegal immigrants, always have UNINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE.
In my opinion lifted trucks really aren't safe enough as daily drivers, can't believe insurance companies won't offer coverage. I have seen what happens when lifted trucks have to make evasive action.....they end up on their side or lid.
Yor credit rating affects into insurance rates too.

Yes, you are right about that. So many people have been jailed here for causing an accident and not being insured or having a valid tag. Just look at the junk car next to you in traffic next time. Cracked windshield, missing headlight or broken tail light? Here in Florida if you have insurance you can get that cracked windshield replaced and it won't cost you. It happened to my little sister's Jeep. Some guy in a rig kicked up a large rock that smashed in the front passenger side windshield. She got it replaced the next morning and it did not cost her a cent. Her insurance rates did not go up. So, every time I see somebody in a junker I stay as far away from them as I can. They are the drivers that seem to drive the stupidest as I have witnessed it so many times!!!

wowko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
gotta keep in mind if you have only liability coverage, theyre not gonna be replacing anything for you, including the windnshield

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals