• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittent 4th gear A4LD

jco77on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
GD A4LD transmission strikes again. Okay, I need some good news guys, even though I'm expecting the worst.

I bought the truck last fall and the guy said he'd had work done on the transmission, but didn't have any receipts. After I bought it I dropped the pan and replaced the filter. The fluid looked/smelled okay.

A few months ago I lost 4th gear. Ran some TransTune through it, and it came back. Yay. A couple weeks ago I lost 4th again. So I dropped the pan and dropped the valve body. Cleaned all the valves and installed a Transgo shift correction kit and the Sonnex boost valve upgrade. Put fresh fluid in it. Also, there wasn't a single spec in the pan, just the usual grey slime on the magnet. Put it all back together and still no 4th gear.

Took it to a transmission shop, they hooked up a reader and it said TCC and 3-4 shit solenoid were bad. They replaced those and just called to tell me still no 4th gear. They're going to do "some more tests" tomorrow. Didn't get to ask what they're going to check. He said if they don't find anything it's probably internal, and that's when I have to dump this truck cuz I'm not putting that kind of money into it. I just can't believe that it's something internal to the transmission, because if something blew, there'd have to be shavings in the pan wouldn't there???

My HOPE is that the computer isn't putting out the signal to the solenoid, or that it's the TPS or something. Any other ideas?

jco77on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Bump.. Any thoughts? I've more or less accepted that I'm going to have to dump this truck for less than the new parts installed on it at this point. :annoyed: Keep your eyes on on the for sale board, you'll probably be seeing it soon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals