• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intake gaskets on '92 4.0, is silicone OK ??

Rustydawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK guys, I've got the old Ranger mill torn apart and spent lots of time cleaning up the lower intake manifold and I have replacement Victor gaskets for both the lower intake and upper.

I realize that silicone is used for sealing the front and rear of the lower intake to the block, but is it necessary or even OK to dab a little silicone on the port faces of the lower intake gaskets?

There's no documentation with the gaskets regarding this.

It seems like everything came apart dry, there were no traces of silicone except for the valve covers. I think everything was factory in my case.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All the extra sillycone can do is to squirt out into the fuel passages or even into the oiled parts of the engine.
NEVER use sillycone unless it is specefically called for. There are only 2 or 3 small places on most engines that sillycone even MAY be used.
Clean dry surfaces and a good dry gasket simply cannot be bettered.
Big JIm

Rustydawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Jim, you confirmed what I suspected. After looking closely at the replacement gaskets the intake port seals are actually silicone rubber on a stainless steel support so there shouldn't be any need for additional silicone.

I'd hate for all this meticulous & tedious parts cleaning to go to waste.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals