• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Insurance after lift

AngloSaxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, here is the story:

My step-dad is an a-hole, he freaks out every time I do something to my truck, keeps saying that it will look like shit lifted because its 2wd, keeps bitching about the sploder spring swap (even though it was great), and on and on.

As my sig says, I will be getting an autofab lift from gfbgreaser289 here really soon. Well as soon as my freak of parent found out, he became obsessed with the idea that my insurance will go up since my truck will have 7in of lift (3BL + 4SP) I personally never heard of any restrictions on lift of any kind here in NC and have no idea what the insurance companiy's view on it is, but arguing with him is like hitting my head on the wall.
I am about to call the insurance to make him shut-up, but was wondering if any of you guys had any issues with the insurance and lift hight.

Thanks guys.

Oh yeh, I looked at some 33x12.5x15 thornbirds, and holy shit they are wide as hell. My plan is to find some 33x10.5 and use stock sploder rims, I think someone else has that combo on here.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
thats a point thats not brought up enough on this site.you need to ask if the insurance company covers lifted trucks before you buy from them.i know progressive and a few others cover lifted trucks at no extra charge i just don't know how high they let you go before freaking out.we really ought to have a sticky or tech page article on insurance so people don't get caught with no coverage when the worst strikes.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
my insurance guy in MA says that anytime i do anything with my truck, i should have new pictures taken by the glass replacement guy so that it will all be covered by insurance. what i infered from that was that as long as its street legal, they will cover it.

try sending a PM to mrjones97 (i think thats what his name is) because he recently had an accident with his lifted truck and everything was covered by the ins. company.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
my insurance company will not cover a truck lifted over 4 inches. seems i remember a disscusion on the old board on this and someone was talking about it at a sema show. and the bottom line was ins doesn't have to cover it due to some new law that went in to effect 01/10/07

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
here in Kentucky I think that they will not cover anything after market.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
call the insurance for yourself, i know liability it probally dont matter, but depending on your coverage it does. Duno how old you are, but there may be limitation due to your age to.

as far as my insurance i talk to them about my BII last year before i started the swap,and they told my it would be that same cost as a regular bII, so it all depends on your insurance.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
My insurance agent freaked when he say my truck to file a homeowners claim for my parents. I was ticked because he was there for a non-related incident not dealing with the auto insurance. He never said anything after I yelled at him though.

Matt

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
my insurance guy in MA says that anytime i do anything with my truck, i should have new pictures taken by the glass replacement guy so that it will all be covered by insurance. what i infered from that was that as long as its street legal, they will cover it.

try sending a PM to mrjones97 (i think thats what his name is) because he recently had an accident with his lifted truck and everything was covered by the ins. company.
mjones97

AngloSaxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have full coverage, So I don't think lift will be a problem

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i think you boys are missing the point,each insurance company has different policies and some of them WILL NOT COVER lifted trucks.they will accept your money up untill you hit somebody in your minimum coverage truck and then very politely tell you that you will be paying for the 10,000$ damage to the other car since your truck is modified and therefore not covered under their policy.the same goes if you are fully covered.THE ONLY WAY TO BE CERTAIN is to spend 5 minutes calling your insurance agent and asking them directly if the policy you have actually covers your truck,every company is different.working at a body shop i have seen some very sad scenes involving lifted trucks and people who took the advise of morons who say not to worry about your insurance.my advise is to find a company who is lift friendly and doesn't try to bully you into higher premiums for a lifted truck.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
i think you boys are missing the point,each insurance company has different policies and some of them WILL NOT COVER lifted trucks.they will accept your money up untill you hit somebody in your minimum coverage truck and then very politely tell you that you will be paying for the 10,000$ damage to the other car since your truck is modified and therefore not covered under their policy.the same goes if you are fully covered.THE ONLY WAY TO BE CERTAIN is to spend 5 minutes calling your insurance agent and asking them directly if the policy you have actually covers your truck,every company is different.working at a body shop i have seen some very sad scenes involving lifted trucks and people who took the advise of morons who say not to worry about your insurance.my advise is to find a company who is lift friendly and doesn't try to bully you into higher premiums for a lifted truck.

+1

Excellent advice.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
+2

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
If anyone calls in, let everyone here know what the insurance company's policy was, the type of rig you drive and who the insurance company is. Then maybe we can get a sticky going that gives a general summary of lift friendly vs. non-lift friendly.

I'll call Esurance tomorrow.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I was also wondering about this, I will give my State Farm rep a call maybe wednesday or thursday and report back what I hear.

And definately +1 one on the sticky for this info.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
this has crossed my mind... but im not worrying about it... im one of those morons. What the insurance company doesn't know wont hurt my wallet any more then they already do.
I'm going to make my $300 a month worth it damnit!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals