• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Injector Test

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ah yes the good old 2.9... the "ticking" time bomb. Well, in order to do a leak down test should I be pinching off the pressure line before the FPR and the return or just the return? I did a pressure check before and I was losing pressure so I replaced the FPR but she still has a hard start issue (probably fuel injectors??) What's the best way to know for sure my injectors are leaky? I have a spare set as well but is there anyway to test if they leak outside of the engine? If they are leaking, is there anyway to fix them? 90 2.9

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
To test for injector leakage you have to get the upper intake off, get the rail up off the lower intake, with all the injectors in it, lines connected, and run the pump to build pressure. Then you look at the injectors and see if they are leaking.

The fix is to replace them.

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the injectors did leak, would buying an injector rebuild kit fix them? I'm not too sure what the kit includes. Is the leaky injector caused by the spring being worn out?

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The fuel injector repair kits consist of a new spacer , o rings and a micro filter. You will need a number 8 screw, a vise and pliers to remove the micro-filter from the old injector. The next thing you need to do is pressurize the injector with carb cleaner, and apply voltage to the injector with a 9 volt battery to cycle the injector and watch the spray pattern. You tube has a few videos to watch that are pretty good. My 88 BII sat for 13 years, and the injectors work fine after a pressure flush and new kits. Ebay sellers have flush kits that are inexpensive. Go to Ebay and type this auction number in the search box 192256734363 $5.68 with free shipping.

Last edited:

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry if it sounds like I'm repeating myself but will the kit fix a leaky injector?

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No the kit by itself will not fix a leaky injector. That's why you need to apply pressure to the injector like I described in my previous reply. Once you have pressurized the injector you will see it either leak or not leak. The carb cleaner used to pressurize the injector will dissolve gum and varnish in and around the pintle end and that itself could stop or prevent a leak.
Hope this helps.

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Perfect thanks man

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals