• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In/Ex Valves

DeanMLFlame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L, 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i doing a performance rebuild on my 302 and i was thinking of getting Manley Stainless valves...now in a book i've got that all about Domestic engines it says my valves measure 1.773-1.783 on the intake. Can i use a valve that measures 1.785? it's the smallest Manley offers. The exhaust is 1.442-1.457, would i have a do some good maching to fit a 1.465" valve?

carcraft302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
putting 5.0 in 97 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
valves

In my imited experiance and difficuties I have had with my swap I have found it is easier and maybe less expensive in the long run to have somebody who is an expert provide information or do the work unless you have money and time. Talk to sombody where motors are built about what works or trick flow makes kits designed to work together. If you have the knowledge and ability you can design a system but you will be busy enough with out having to guess and guess wrong and screw something up. If you have a job, wife and home finding time to plan, implement and fabricate is difficult..I am trying right now to figure where to put the stupid computer. I had heads built and an engine build company put the parts together so I am sure tolorances are right and engine was kept clean. Nice folks who also provided expertise. They also cleaned parts for powder coating...maybe I am just lazy..good luck...:icon_cheers:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Don't waste your money on new stock sized valves. Spend that money toward aftermarket heads. Or a set of factory heads that have been reworked with larger valves.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If your doing a "performance" build, then why are you sticking with stock size?? Go with 2.02 intake, 1.60 exhaust and call it a day
SVT

DeanMLFlame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L, 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i don't have the money for it. unless your talking about putting 2.02's in the stock heads.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, put the bigger valves in your stock heads, you can also gasket-match the exhaust and intake ports, smoothing out the runners will also help with flow. Gasket-matching and smoothing the runners are things you can do to save machining labor
SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals