• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I'm really lucky - radiator trouble

Great_Big_Abyss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I had a bit of an incident yesterday while driving home.

I work just outside of Winnipeg, Manitoba, in a town called Oak Bluff, while I live inside the city. So, when I drive home, to make things interesting, I take the farmers' roads. Right now they're snow covered, and in some areas there are some pretty major drifts. In fact, during my Xmas break, I got stuck in one of the larger drifts, and had to get towed out. I now avoid that road.

While I'm driving home, I see a vehicle stuck in one of the larger drifts on the road that I avoid. I decide to approach and see if he needs help. As I'm driving closer, I'm plowing through some short snow drifts, that as long as you have momentum, you can get through. As I get closer, I see a 2001-ish F150 crew cab with three dudes frantically shovelling and pushing, with snow flying from spinning wheels.

So, I pull up and mention that I have a tow strap. We hook my strap to each of our tow hooks. (the front of my truck was facing the front of the other truck, so that I was pulling backwards). It took many tries, but I eventually got him free, bit by bit. I couldn't just pull him out, because my truck is too light. I couldn't just sit there and spin, because I would have dug myself in and then we'd BOTH have been stuck. So I had to yank him out. A few times, my tow strap (which has really crappy hooks) came loose, and we had to re-attach it.

So, finally the F-150 is out. The dudes are showering their thanks. I put my stuff away, and get back in my truck. I didn't want to risk turning around and getting stuck on the verges of the road, so I start reversing back the way I came. I make it to one of the larger snow drifts, and pick up a bit of speed. Unfortunately, my truck slides out of the existing ruts and starts ploughing through the deeper part of the drift. A lot of gas and wheel spin just gets me through. Then I see the guy in the F-150 follow through the ruts I just made --------- and get stuck.

So I drive back to his truck, we hook up tow hooks again, and I start yanking (that sounds bad). Now...here it comes....

During one of the tugs, the hook that's attached to the other truck comes loose, and starts flying towards my truck. It flies through my grille, and punches a hole through my radiator.

I finish the job of pulling this guy loose, then I stop my truck and have a look at the damage. The hook damaged (cracked) the grille a little. And it seems to have bent a row of tubes in the rad back about 1.5", as well as flattening a lot of fins The thing is, my Rad doesn't seem to be leaking coolant. There's no steam, my coolant level in the reservoir seems to have remained the same throughout the night and my truck's temperature seems to hover about where it should.

I plan on replacing my radiator come spring, even if it IS okay. My truck is an '06 and I want to keep it nice, you know. But I want to wait until summer, because it's just too damn cold to do any work on my truck during winter. In the mean time, it's my daily driver. So, I'm planning on getting a bottle of rad sealant, and keeping some coolant in my cab. You know, just in case.

I'm just amazed at the quality of Ford products these days ( I had a long string of imports before I bought my Ranger). I mean there is some pretty visible damage to the rad, and it seems to be okay.

What do you guys think? Is there some other symptom that my rad is actually punctured that I should look for?

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i'd say you lucked out. i flash-froze the rad in my B2 by taking off before the water was warmed up enough and now it has about five pinhole leaks that spray steam when the engine gets too hot.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That sucks - I would definitely think about replacing that radiator NOW regardless of whether or not it leaks. Just between heating up and cooling down could crack it where it's bent. Adding stop leak will just clog up your cooling system.

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Its not leaking coolant because you didn't smack the radiator. You hit the AC condensor. I'm positive it leaked out most, if not all of the R-134A. You'll be needing a new one. You could have possibly gotten away with it, and not caused it to leak, but obviously its not a good thing it looks like you hit it with a baseball bat.

Radiator = fine
Condensor = mushed.

Great_Big_Abyss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its not leaking coolant because you didn't smack the radiator. You hit the AC condensor. I'm positive it leaked out most, if not all of the R-134A. You'll be needing a new one. You could have possibly gotten away with it, and not caused it to leak, but obviously its not a good thing it looks like you hit it with a baseball bat.

Radiator = fine
Condensor = mushed.
How do you know its my condenser? Is the condensor in front of the radiator? Keep in mind that this hole is on the driver side of the truck. So, if my radiator is fine, and my condensor is pooched, what happens with my AC?

When I have my vent system on defrost, which in this climate is all winter long, I think my AC compresser is running. Is this okay? Or should I figure out a way of shutting down my AC?

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Generally speaking, the condensor is always in front, in just about all cars and trucks. Secondly, the tubing and the way the fins are I can see it from a mile away. It looks to me as if the hook hit in between the two tubes, literally forcing one up, and one down, just bending them. I don't see any cracks, but obviously I'm going off of a picture or two. I'd be surprised if there was not atleast a small leak, however you may have gotten lucky. If your AC compressor is still staying on when you turn the heat on, your fine. Looks to me like you got lucky more so then anything. When it warms up I'd throw in a new one just in case, otherwise you'll be alright.

Great_Big_Abyss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Right on, that's great news. So i should be okay driving it for a few months as is. At the very worst, my AC system goes kaput, right?

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yeah, pretty much.

if you're really worried about it, disconnect the electrical plug from the compressor so it doesn't run without oil.

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd disconnect it anyway. All it does is drain power and gas mileage, and does little to nothing. You'll be fine. Who the hell needs AC with snow on the ground.

Great_Big_Abyss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's great, thanks for the tip.

the AC compressor si belt run, right?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My bad, I should have known that was not the radiator.

Your AC runs in the winter with the defrost on because it is designed to do that. It keeps the windshield cold until the engine coolant is warm enough to keep ice from forming on it. It also keeps the air conditioning system lubricated (which is why car makers used to advise running your AC for a little bit each month even in the winter.)

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
disconnect the electrical plug, NOT the belt.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think that if it lost the R-134, the compresser wouldn't run anyway - low pressure cutout switch would be open.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
For starters, your A/C condenser took the hit, not the radiator. If the condenser does leak and all the freon is lost, the compressor will not work. Need a high enough pressure in the line for the A/C system to work. Also, the A/C is used in the winter to remove moisture from the air. So the inside windshield won't fog up. Problem with that, A/C doesn't work too well below 40*F outside temps.

And for kickers. Its cheaper to replace the radiator than the A/C condenser. Especially the servicing the A/C system will need after replacement.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals