• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition module question

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
I've heard that the modules fail when they get hot, how about when they get cold? A week ago we got some -35 weather. I drove my 86 DD home the night it got super cold. Less than 12 hours later it wouldn't start, neither would the other 4 running B II's in the yard. Luckily my F-250 started after I plugged him in for a couple of hours. The temps warmed up last Wed and the 89 and 90 BII's all started but the 86 won't. It's got fuel so I figure it might be the module. So, does cold weather affect these things?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I've heard that the modules fail when they get hot, how about when they get cold? A week ago we got some -35 weather. I drove my 86 DD home the night it got super cold. Less than 12 hours later it wouldn't start, neither would the other 4 running B II's in the yard. Luckily my F-250 started after I plugged him in for a couple of hours. The temps warmed up last Wed and the 89 and 90 BII's all started but the 86 won't. It's got fuel so I figure it might be the module. So, does cold weather affect these things?
Suppose it is possible. just remove and test. check the grounds.

If you were "playing" in the snow prior to getting cold...check the cap for cracks....if it got a little moisture in there , then cold. well you get the idea.

or is snow packed over the coil on the DS inner fender ??

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nope, no playing in this truck, I use it to get back and forth to work. It finally stopped snowing (4ft.!!) so I can check it out today.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Nope, no playing in this truck, I use it to get back and forth to work. It finally stopped snowing (4ft.!!) so I can check it out today.
4ft of snow....:shok::shok::icon_surprised: that's crazy!!!
I did that with old cj5 jeep...drove around in a bunch of snow and got snow packed in the engine bay pretty good....then it got cold, like what you discribed....froze the battery, cracked the cap and bunch of other stuff too.

took some tinkering to get it running again.

UnderMedikated

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ever heard of a place called "Florida?"

Moving from there will solve most of your problems-LOL!:icon_cheers:

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, heard of it. Even been there a time or two, love the west coast area. BUT, I have 110 acres of heaven right here so here I'll stay. Back to the BII, ran to town and got all the trimmings, module, cap plugs, the whole schmear. Decided to give the key one more turn before I started.......VROOOOM the SOB started right up. Went ahead and gave it a tune up then "played" in the snow in the driveway. That was 4 hours ago and I just finished plowing the road and unsticking the 86. Good times were had by all. Had a "flurry". it snowed like I haven't seen in years, 1 hour of "flurries", 4 inches of snow. SWEET!!! We're going snowboarding on the property tomorrow, old skool, no lifts, no lines. Thanks for the help!

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, heard of it. Even been there a time or two, love the west coast area. BUT, I have 110 acres of heaven right here so here I'll stay. Back to the BII, ran to town and got all the trimmings, module, cap plugs, the whole schmear. Decided to give the key one more turn before I started.......VROOOOM the SOB started right up. Went ahead and gave it a tune up then "played" in the snow in the driveway. That was 4 hours ago and I just finished plowing the road and unsticking the 86. Good times were had by all. Had a "flurry". it snowed like I haven't seen in years, 1 hour of "flurries", 4 inches of snow. SWEET!!! We're going snowboarding on the property tomorrow, old skool, no lifts, no lines. Thanks for the help!
Glad to hear that all is well. :yahoo: Prolly a connection that "condeneced" in the sevear cold. Warmed a bit and Shazzam:icon_thumby:

yeap...I hear ya... We woke up to 4" of partly cloudy a time or two. We're also are getting more traditional snow fall for the last couple of years.

UnderMedikated

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Could have been moisture in the fuel but not likely. P.S. My daughter loves to snow board but the nearest ski place is 8 hours.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could have been moisture in the fuel but not likely. P.S. My daughter loves to snow board but the nearest ski place is 8 hours.

Under, you may be on the right track. I've added "HEAT" to the gas tanks of all the involved and there is a marked difference to how they all start. I've since gotten some STABIL and added that as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals