• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ignition controle module

jdm90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I took my 94 to a shop to have the CEL read. He said it was the ICM. I replaced it. CEL is off but now it will sometimes act like I hit a huge pothole or just die out. It will restart. I put a little extra dielectric grease on the back of the new ICM. Could that cause the new problems?

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
The grease is just a heat sink. I doubt after tightening the ICM down there would be so much that it is interfering with it getting a good ground. I assume that you have double checked your connections and they are good.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
my engine runs just fine and I have virtually no ground to the DIS module (I have it bolted to an aluminum plate and ziptied that to the fender), it does misfire occasionally at full load, I suppose that could be the problem...

I would suspect your problem to be a broken wire or something rather than the ground to the module housing... the ground is through the bolt heads not the rear of the module...

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
scott, i've seen you post about not having your ICM grounded before, but on these trucks the ground on the ICM is Crucial. it's not setup the same as yours is. on my 94 a missing bolt in the lower left of the icm is what cause my truck to not run at all. It really does matter on these trucks.... for the OP i really couldn't tell you wat your problem is as i have the same problem after many hours of trouble shooting i just can't figure it out. one of these days the failing component will just quit and i'll be more inclined to help other with the same problem. Your not the only one, and no one has a solution to this as far as i've read. Although hardware man (very well educated on the 2.3 and 2.5 motors) had a problem similar wich turned out to be some bad plugs. I'm thinking about trying out some factory (motorcraft) plugs just for fun, just too bad changin all 8 plugs is such a PITA especially the drivers side...

Last edited:

jdm90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the response. Initially the CEL was on,the tach read very low and loss of power .The shop diagnosed it as the ICM. I installed a new one. Now, no CEL,tach reads good but it feels as if I hit a big pothole for a second on ocassion or it will die out.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Like I said i have a similar problem, I haven't swapped the ICM out before, but i'm pretty sure someone else has. When i'm driving down the road it will 'buck' sometimes, very annoying. Does it especially bad under a load. Mine will die completely once every couple of months, usually going through an intersection. And it's not bad clutch work, the motor just quits running, always starts right back up though. I'm at a loss.

jdm90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, just got mine back from the shop. He put a new Motorcraft ICM on it and it did just as it did with me. He then put it on a "scope" and it come up with a bad Crank Position Sensor. So, my old ICM and bad CPS would keep the truck running (rough). New ICM and old CPS,truck would buck or die. He put another new Motorcraft ICM with a new Motocraft CPS on it and truck is running good now. There is no CEL,bucking,rough running or die out. The cruise control works now also.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
so it turned out to be a bad crank positin sensor?

jdm90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ICM and CPS

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals