• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition Control Module 94 2.3L

BroncoV6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Turns out that the magnet on the timing position sensor was broke off. No wonder I wasn't getting any spark. Upon further investigation, it seems that a tooth from the timing belt came off and got inside the area where the crank position sensor is and broke off the magnet. Now I have to replace the timing belt also.
I put on the new crank position seneor and the motor started so I think that this is the only elecrtonic problem I had.
So much for Arrow Ford's theory that it was the ignition control module they wanted to sell me for $590.00 !!!
Advanced Auto has the belt and tensioner in stock for about $60 for both.
Auto Zone had the belt but not the tensioner. Their tensioner is about $65. Pays to shop around.
P.S. There is no cam position sensor on this 2.3L Ranger.

Last edited:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
random question: i've only got 2 of the 4 bolts holing the ICM in. I suspect this being the culprit for the out-of-place ground that someone spliced into one of the wires coming out of the PCM. Anyone know what size those little bolts are?

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
we just use 1 or 2 bolts to hold it to the intake,spaced away from the base.we run a seperate ground wire all together.we found that this us a complete ground on the race truck

BobbyB2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
random question: i've only got 2 of the 4 bolts holing the ICM in. I suspect this being the culprit for the out-of-place ground that someone spliced into one of the wires coming out of the PCM. Anyone know what size those little bolts are?
Make sure you put one of the stock bolts on the lower left, this is the ground for the ICM. I was able to find something similar(bolt) at Chker Auto in thier misc rack. It was a small clear box of about half a dozen screws, real cheap. I took one of the bolts in with me and matched as close as I could. The tricky part is finding the dense thread pattern. As long as the the replacement bolt is on the right side, you should be ok. The dealer did not have this part. Many people have only three bolts holding in the ICM, the upper left is vacant and there is not even a hole tapped.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
ya it's missing both of them on the left side.... so it's more like a screw than a bolt? like a slef tapping sheet metal screw would propably work?

BobbyB2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
ya it's missing both of them on the left side.... so it's more like a screw than a bolt? like a slef tapping sheet metal screw would propably work?
It's a small bolt. I don't see any harm in improvising on the right side only, but I would have more peace of mind getting a close match. If I remember correctly, the replacement I found had a slotted head for a screw driver. I was going to use it on the upper right where it was easy to get to. Like I said, get one of the stock bolts in the lower left and make sure it's tight. The other bolts are less critical, they are just mounting.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
will do. thanks.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I went to lowes and found one that was almost exact size. M-4x 20 after fighting to get one of the stock bolts in the lower left hole I was able to eliminate that ground i was talking about and I'm not having the inntermitent starting problem i was before... amazing how 1 little bolt could decide if the truck runs or not. haha.

insane302cancan

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hate to bring this thread up from the cryptic down under, but I have a code 224. I ran ground from the lower left bolt to the chassis headlight ground on the front radiator support. The truck runs great, even before i did the ground, i put the ground in, and i still have the 224 code. Again, the truck runs great and have no drivability issues with it what so ever. Does anyone else have any input? I dont want to spend 140 bucks for a new ignition module if i really dont need to.

Also, I changed out all 8 plugs, and wires, as i suspected this may have been the issue. Still have the light though.

insane302cancan

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would also like to add that 2 plugs on each side will fire. not all 8, at idle. once i blip the throttle, all 8 fire off. I just think its strange to have 2 plugs on each side fire instead of 4 plugs on one side or all 8.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals