• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ice road truckers

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thats a great show, always watch it, toinght TJ jus started to drive a new Volvo for someone an hit a chebbie before he even hit the ice:icon_rofl:

anyways i really wanna do this when i get out of school, does anybody hear do it?

and when i would start to hear the ice crack, i would probably shat myself
how long is the longest stretch of ice that your on?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I watch it for the girl.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
hahaha kail? or some kind of name like that

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
First off...

Boggin...do you drive truck? I think a min of 5 yrs experince is required.

Secondly...that show has to be over dramatized. Im sure its a dangerous job...but im sure its not THAT dramtic. Just like all the logging shows.

and C....Why would he hit the ice in a Volvo? Im partial to petes :)

later,
Dustin

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
nah, i'd use an old military 6x6 for that:icon_twisted:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
first, no im still in school, but i do drive them on private roads, my dads beena trucker my whole life, and yes, it isover dramatized, i know its not that bad

and C..id be using a western star, petes are pricey :D

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Western stars are nice trucks.

Ive never drivin a 18 wheeler, well, once for a farmer. But i would like to, i still carry my CDL from driving school busses.

BUt anyways....working on a loading dock i see all kinds of different trucks, old and new, everything from Volvos to Internationals, KW's to Petes, all kinds. Hear the drivers bitch or praise the good and bad in either one.

But i know one thing...you see a heavy hauling B train or a heavy haul flat bed, its got a pete or a KW in front of it. Once in a while an IH, but never a volvo or freigtliner. Those are usually hooked to van trailers.

We actually had a freightliner with a Mercedes engine and an automatic not be able to pull a 45,000lb load up a ramp. Pathetic in my book. A pete with a 500cat and a 10sp yanks it up no problem.

They need to leave the truck building to us.

later,
Dustin

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Lisa Kelly - 28 yrs old

Last edited:

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
i'd use a mack. cheap and tough. and 18 wheeler manuals are easier to drive than a normal pickup manuals

TRX501RYAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Western stars are nice trucks.

Ive never drivin a 18 wheeler, well, once for a farmer. But i would like to, i still carry my CDL from driving school busses.

BUt anyways....working on a loading dock i see all kinds of different trucks, old and new, everything from Volvos to Internationals, KW's to Petes, all kinds. Hear the drivers bitch or praise the good and bad in either one.

But i know one thing...you see a heavy hauling B train or a heavy haul flat bed, its got a pete or a KW in front of it. Once in a while an IH, but never a volvo or freigtliner. Those are usually hooked to van trailers.

We actually had a freightliner with a Mercedes engine and an automatic not be able to pull a 45,000lb load up a ramp. Pathetic in my book. A pete with a 500cat and a 10sp yanks it up no problem.

They need to leave the truck building to us.

later,
Dustin

I went to quebec last year, to a truck rodeo, lol.... watch this pete pull some trains... up hill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlELmIC0rWc

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
If you want your kidneys pounded into hamburger, drive a MACK. They are just a dump truck without the box. POS truck, driven one all over the NE US and that thing had issues pulling 45,000# up hills that our same Volvo's pulled with ease.

Volvo's have terrific driver conveniences, the Pete's we had were crap as well. The Freightshakers were a cheap truck both in price and quality.

Boggin, good luck becoming one of those drivers. It is EXTREMELY hard. Your dad being a driver won't help you much in the industry, especially on the mainland. Oh, and chaining/strapping down a load in -40* with wind and snow takes much longer than the 30 seconds they show on TV. It is brutally cold and not at all easy.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you want your kidneys pounded into hamburger, drive a MACK. They are just a dump truck without the box. POS truck, driven one all over the NE US and that thing had issues pulling 45,000# up hills that our same Volvo's pulled with ease.

Volvo's have terrific driver conveniences, the Pete's we had were crap as well. The Freightshakers were a cheap truck both in price and quality.

Boggin, good luck becoming one of those drivers. It is EXTREMELY hard. Your dad being a driver won't help you much in the industry, especially on the mainland. Oh, and chaining/strapping down a load in -40* with wind and snow takes much longer than the 30 seconds they show on TV. It is brutally cold and not at all easy.
+1. Plus, if you think the big truck manuals are easier to drive than a pickup truck you obviously have zero time in driving one. When I see a 18 speed in an F-150 I may entertain that concept.

Volvo's are awesome trucks. Don't be confused by what you see pulling loads either. Trucking is a business and price matters. You can order yourself a Volvo or mod one to pull just the same as anything. You will just have more space and better stuff in the Volvo. Or you could get the cheaper truck. Depends on what you want, the best or the best compromise.

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
He he he, could you imagine a f-250/350 with an Eaton-Fuller Super 10 in it? LOL Imagine people trying to hop in and drive that. Never mind a 13 or 18 speed.

What everyone has to understand is that you can spec a Heavy truck any way you want. This isn't your car dealership where you only get one option of engine brand. The Western Stars, Pete's, K-wops are all expensive brand names you are paying for. A Volvo mud flap is about $20, a Pete one is over $100. Same thing just with a different name and came from a different dealer network.

You buy a fancy, expensive "brand" and you are going to be running your butt off trying to break even on the never/never plan. There is a lot to know and learn when you are looking into spec'ing a truck.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
He he he, could you imagine a f-250/350 with an Eaton-Fuller Super 10 in it? LOL Imagine people trying to hop in and drive that. Never mind a 13 or 18 speed.

What everyone has to understand is that you can spec a Heavy truck any way you want. This isn't your car dealership where you only get one option of engine brand. The Western Stars, Pete's, K-wops are all expensive brand names you are paying for. A Volvo mud flap is about $20, a Pete one is over $100. Same thing just with a different name and came from a different dealer network.

You buy a fancy, expensive "brand" and you are going to be running your butt off trying to break even on the never/never plan. There is a lot to know and learn when you are looking into spec'ing a truck.
Put anything with a splitter in a normal vehicle and watch the hilarity ensue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals