• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need a roof....

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
That should do it!

Stripping it is the easy part. I would rent a bin unless you have a trailer with sides.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, your TV tower looks pretty rusty...lol...but it's probably easier to climb up onto the roof than a ladder (as long as it's attached properly)...I use them all the time and feel more comfortable on them than ladders...

Hardest part in my experience is getting the shingles onto the roof...but if one guy hauls them up the ladder and flops them on the roof another guy (or girl) can carry and stack them in piles of two or three bundles across the roof...

If you can rent the nail gun as suggested it should only take 4 to 6 hours tops to complete...as long as the roof is the same on the other side as what you showed...

And you may want to buy a few of those replaceable roofing blades that go into a blade knife...little hooks on them...great for cutting shingles and pant legs...and fingers...but if you're careful and once you get the first two rows down it's really not difficult...

Oh, and those knee pads are a real help for us old guys...get the ones with plastic on the outside because they will last you till the next time you have to do the roof...about 20 years...

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What's wrong with going over the old shingles?

That is the most half assed, ghetto way to repair a roof. No legitimate roofer would take a job where you just go over the old shingles and in a bunch of states, that would be a building code violation.
Extra weight plus not being able to fully inspect the plywood are the reasons.
You could probably find a weekend bubba handyman that would do it your way, but no decent company would touch it.
Do it right......I just spent $9000 to have one of my rentals reroofed.
If you live in a hurricane area, not stripping the roof down to the plywood would be a disaster waiting to happen.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My gawd, it would take me a week to do all that by myself.

Might have to buy some beer and pizza, put it on the roof, and call a couple friends.
My father and I had the roof stripped in one good day and felted that night. I would personally rent a dumpster or have access to a dump truck of some sort so the mess isnt so horrendous.

Stripping the roof doesnt take long at all. Most hardware stores sell a special "roofers shovel" that makes quick work of removing the shingles.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Keep checking the attic for leaks/water stains every month ...you could get a few more years out of the roof (or not)...OR...reshingle now before flashing/etc. starts to rust!. The shingles look kinda thick-like they're swollen...I wouldn't think they would serve as a good base. Rent scaffolding to set up along the "bottom" edge of the roof to catch you if you slide down. Use a rope tied around the chimney that is long enuff for you to work on the edge of the roof incline (other end of rope attatched to Jim O.).

OR...HAVE THAT BEER & PIZZA PARTY (but they gotta wait til their down the ladder to drink the beer)

CivEng12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
If you are stripping the old shingles, its a good idea to lay down a non-perforated asphalt underlayment before placing new shingles; look for one that is ASTM D226 compliant. A common one up here is a No. 15 felt. Be sure to overlap adjacent strips as per manufacturer's recommendation - usually no less than 2".

CivEng12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Use a rope tied around the chimney that is long enuff for you to work on the edge of the roof incline (other end of rope attatched to Jim O.).
I wouldn't recommend this unless you are using a proper fall protection system. Its will give a very false sense of reassurance.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
IMHO, I would stip it down to the plywood and start from scratch. Remember to lay down felt paper and nail it with those special nails with the large plastic head.

I would personally use architectural shingles for the immensely easy installation and price.

Dont forget to get new roof caps and its a good idea to replace any damaged flashing or rotted plywood at that time.
What he said. I helped my brother roof his house. We had probably 8 people and myself from his wive's side on that roof. It was a small house but either way its a bitch. That's obviously why no one wants to do it.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If it wasn't for the fact that I've already bit off more than i can handle I'd bring a couple of air nail guns over and have that roof done in a 2-3 days.

you may want to consider getting a price of a metal roof.. just put one on my step dad's house and they guarantee the metal for 40 years.

Sorry for thread jacking. but Jim, after being at your house last summer for your meet and greet i'd walk all over your roof like a red headed stepchild.. (no pun intended) here's a pic of the house i did for my step-father last fall. THERE'S NO WAY ANYONE CAN STAND ON THIS ROOF without the aid of climbing gear.
the cost of materials for this house was $4,000 if i remember correctly, and that was the house and 2 porch roofs.

Last edited:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Like Ryan said Jim, I'd strip it so you can check it all over and make damn sure your plywood underneith is good, and that you don't have any leaks.

I've done 3 roofs on 1500sq ft+ bungalows in the last year and they're really not bad, just invest in a good pair of knee pads! Get a few trustworthy buddies to help, supply the beer AFTER the roof is done, and go from there. We did our roof's one side at a time, stripped it in the morning and had it cleaned up, repapered and reshingled by sundown with 2 people...

Alot of places here will deliver the shingles to the roof, which is great as it saves time and your back trying to get them up there.... my old man used a shingle calculator at the store and ended up with 12 extra bundles!!!!!! they sucked to carry back down....lol.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
After a second look...I'd say strip it too...but the roof isn't as steep as some I've climbed on...

Fall arrest harnesses are required by law in Canada...not sure if they apply to home owners but any worker on your roof must wear them...they'd add another $200 or so to the job...unless they're less expensive in the US...plus ropes...good ropes are not cheap either...

Oh, and nice job Grey...that's a job for a helicopter or skyhook...

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
id strip it to sheeting also, if for no other reason than to inspect the sheeting & put down fresh tar paper (or whatever they call that stuff) the more layers of roofing material, the weight thats up there. only drawback to a steel roof is having to paint it every so often. i do the roof of the trailer every 2-3 years, once time got away from me and it started leaking, think i must have gone 4 years without maintenence.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
just cover it with a 40mil pond liner and snow coat ............

second thought .........

My Cousin needs work and he did the roof on his dad's house.......

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
according to the home inspector that inspected the house I'm buying, relayering doesn't last as long, so if you put 25 year shingles overtop of the old shingles, they'll only last about 20 years, and so on.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have done a few buildings and it's really not hard, especially if you have a roof with no valleys. Just takes some time to get your technique down. I would not hesitate to do it on my own. BTW, don't put another layer on...like was said above...it's like painting over rust. Peeling the old stuff doesn't take THAT much more time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals