• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I know you ford guys are gonna cringe...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plus I call BS on the weight unless he was doing 10 mph TOPS just around the farm in which case it isn't that impressive unless you are impressed by people being too cheap to buy the right tool for the job.
I see half tons pulling full double tanks of anhydrous down the highway all the time, 10-15k apeice.

They only go about 45mph, and can't stop for crap since they are made to be pulled with tractors at 20mph tops and don't have brakes. Nothing more exciting than watching some idiot getting pushed thru a stopsign sliding all four tires on his pickup. :icon_surprised:

Farmers get away with all sorts of crap like that, the bale carts they pull with no brakes and bales stacked as high as their loader will allow... with nothing tied down of course. They can do their own inspections on their grain trucks and get special waivers every year so they can weigh so much more than is allowed for a normal person. If a commercial guy tried any of that he would probably about get shot for it.

Dad had a 305 in a '81 1500 it was a good engine, had decent power and milage. The '92 GMC 1500 packing a 350 he replaced it with was a night and day difference though. They are both good engines, but I wouldn't trade my 5.4 for either.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I don't know, the 3 valve 6.8 Triton V10 with its 4.16" stroke makes for one heck of a towpig motor as far as gassers go. If I remember right, it makes 400+ ft-lbs from 1500-5000 RPM, peaking at close to 500 ft-lbs.

The GM gassers are also great motors, but they have a much larger bore and shorter stroke than the tritons. This makes them great in an application like the silverado SS or the pontiac GTO.

But for pulling large trailers, the long-stroke tritons win.
well i guess i wasn't clear... tritons put out good power, especially the V10, but they really suck to work on and the ****ing spark plugs blow out the threads in the rear cylinders.

lumber yard i used to work at had an 07 V10 and we had 4 and a half pallets of manor stone loaded up... if i remember right each pallet weights over 1000lbs.

we were going about 65mph up a 6% grade cruising like it was nothing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i guess i wasn't clear... tritons put out good power, especially the V10, but they really suck to work on and the ****ing spark plugs blow out the threads in the rear cylinders.

lumber yard i used to work at had an 07 V10 and we had 4 and a half pallets of manor stone loaded up... if i remember right each pallet weights over 1000lbs.

we were going about 65mph up a 6% grade cruising like it was nothing.
The three valves don't spit plugs.

The two valves do if they were not tightened properly, they can do it any cylinder and not just the back ones. Not a really common thing to happen.

GM engines are notorious for intake gaskets leaking even installed properly.

Six of one half a dozen of another...

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
yea any spark plug that spits out isn't tightend right haha i had the igniter spit out on my jet's engine for about 10-15hrs, of course not tightend. the only thing with v-10s was i heard they got 11mpg loaded or not

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
Is anyone listening to me?

Is this thing on?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
he was implying that anybody that replies to this should not be too biased, bash brands, or cause big drawn out arguements about whats better

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The three valves don't spit plugs.

The two valves do if they were not tightened properly, they can do it any cylinder and not just the back ones. Not a really common thing to happen.

GM engines are notorious for intake gaskets leaking even installed properly.

Six of one half a dozen of another...
Even my step-dads 4.2 spit plugs. It's not just a V-8 thing anymore. lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even my step-dads 4.2 spit plugs. It's not just a V-8 thing anymore. lol
So did my brothers Honda CT-70 trail bike when were were kids.... anything can do it to a certain point.

The mod motors are more unforgiving because they have 2 or 3 threads to hold the plug in an aluminum head. Too tight and you strip them out, too loose and they will work the threads until the plug pops out.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Yeah they had an issue with the plugs. Some head types were worse than others. From my research, in order of best to worst, it was 3V > 2V PI > 2V NPI. Every engine/vehicle family out there has at least one annoying design issue though. Pick your poison I guess.

These engines don't suck to work on in and of themselves. It's the body shape of the trucks they were installed in that makes them a pain to work on. Try working on a 4.6 in a crown vic. It's as easy as anything. Put that same motor in an F-150 and all of a sudden its half burried beneath the cowl and you can't get to anything. The super duty bodies are a little better for engine work than the F-150 bodies, but the 80-96 body style was far superior to either.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah they had an issue with the plugs. Some head types were worse than others. From my research, in order of best to worst, it was 3V > 2V PI > 2V NPI. Every engine/vehicle family out there has at least one annoying design issue though. Pick your poison I guess.

These engines don't suck to work on in and of themselves. It's the body shape of the trucks they were installed in that makes them a pain to work on. Try working on a 4.6 in a crown vic. It's as easy as anything. Put that same motor in an F-150 and all of a sudden its half burried beneath the cowl and you can't get to anything. The super duty bodies are a little better for engine work than the F-150 bodies, but the 80-96 body style was far superior to either.
For some reason 4.6's are really rare to ever have a problem with it. V-10's are the most common, with the 5.4 somehwere in the middle.

Late '03 and later 2v engines had more threads and should theoroetically be better than the earlier ones up until they were phased out with 3 valve engines which are very unlikely to spit out a plug.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 01 f250 V10 with 82,000 miles on it and did some research on the spark plug spitting thing and decided to change mine out before it was too late. I backed all ten of them out anti-seized the new ones and had them all changed out in 2.5 hrs. And this past weekend a buddy of mine came over with his 2000 V10 with 130,000 miles on it and I changed all ten of his plugs out in less than 1.5 hr so i guess you get better at doing things the second time, but knock on wood i've had no trouble with this. And a buddy of mine had an '02 6.0 silverado extended cab short bed in his truck and my v10 would leave him in the dust, after i had just won first place at the truck pulls towing 30,000 lbs in the gasoline class. But compared to the silverado my v10 is about 1,000 lbs. heavier, my truck with me sitting in it weighs in at about 6,900 lbs. Does ford put more steel on their trucks idk.

98RedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All I have to say about the V10 is my Dad has a 2001 F-250 that he ordered from the factory and all he has done is change the oil every 3,000 miles and put a set of spark plugs in at 100k and he's due for another set 109k later. Never given him a problem and has driven up and down the east coast pulling a 28 foot travel trailer and running from hurricanes without a single problem. Best he's ever gotten was 14mpg going to Georgia doing a steady speed of 80, worst he's ever gotten was 6mpg towing our old 20 foot offshore boat down to the keys that had a tee top (went through a full tank of gas (38 gallons). It's been an insanely reliable truck and it's probably going to be for another 300k atleast.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
>>>>

But my tow rig is a 1995 Chevy 1500.

And its a damn good one too.

It tows my heavy ass camper up north every year.

It towed my brothers girlfriend's sebring out of a ditch last night.

It tows scrap vehicles around the yard.

and still will rock on the freeway.

I may be a fan of ford. But chevy gets my vote on towing. :icon_thumby:

Oh and i just got some 33' Mud tires for it. XD
========================================
Nothin the matter with it...........my tow-pig is a 92 C2500 w/5.7L /4L80E trans / 4.10 gears, pulls ok, but I have had thoughts of stuffin a BB in it, as the 5.7L in the late 80s and 90s were underpowered IMO.........

Ranger-Forums Meet in Knoxville, TN last year:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Least you have 4.10s. The '88 5.7 I had was a 3.43-equipped pig. Towing my Ranger at 60-65 was good for 8mpg with lots of visits to 3rd gear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals