• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have searched but would like some specific answers.

suicidedoors66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been lurking around here for quite a while searching and reading all the great information but I would like to ask a very specific question to cover my situation.

I have a 1990 BII E.B. With power windows, locks, and an automatic. I found a 1991 Ranger with a 4.0 and 5 speed but no power windows or locks.

My question: would this be a completely plug and play swap for the engine and transmission or would the wiring be an issue.

I can't have the bronco down long and the 2.9 runs good so if it's too much hassle I am going to just swap in the m50d and call it a day. I appreciate the help.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
As far as the motor and tranny, yes, it will be plug and play. But really, the only plug you will be plugging in is the big cannon plug on the firewall. Everything else will be swapped from the 4.0 truck into your BII. You can opt to use your existing power distribution, but I've found it's easier to just use the 4.0 one along with the rest of the engine bay harness.

There might be differences in the pins on the cannon plug on the firewall, but I doubt it.

You will need to get creative with the power windows/locks, because the BII harness for the windows/locks goes through the fender and into the engine bay. When you swap in the 4.0's harness, you won't have anything to plug the BII's windows/locks harnesses into.

suicidedoors66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I keep my original power distribution box will the windows still work or will I still lose that option? The windows aren't a deal breaker but this is the first of 6 RBV's that I have owned that had power windows AND they work!

suicidedoors66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, where would I look for the connections on the cannon plug to make sure they are the same? Would that be inthe chilton's or just by the wire colors? Thanks

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello,
I grafted power window/lock doors from a 90 BII and the engine bay harness, engine and dash from a 92 Explorer into my 88 BII. The manual you want is an Electrical, Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) for the trucks your grafting together. Just look on E-Bay. They are invaluable for wiring jobs as they show every wire location, color and routing. Powering the doors to work should not be all that hard really. The later trucks route from the door to the door post and into the harness running behind the E-Brake pedal assy. The BIIs routed along between the inner fender liner and outer sheet metal and plug into the main harness up by the headlights. Even though the 2.9 runs good, so did mine, you cannot beat the 4.0!

suicidedoors66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went yesterday and goy the ranger parts truck. It does run like the guy advertised but the 4.0 has a pretty serious "tick" so I think the trans is going to be my only exchange for now. I REALLY wish I had a shop or even a garage so I could pull the engine and rebuild it. Maybe I'll just pull the wiring harness and brain so when I find another donor later it will make the swap easier.

suicidedoors66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to bring back this old business but I am trying to wrap up this trans swap. I am down to the wiring and I need help verifying what I have and what needs to be spliced.

This is the harness from the manual trans:

This is from the auto:

Which colors go to what? from what i have studied in the EVTM the pink/orange and black/pink are a direct splice between the two connectors but the others are a bit more vague/hard to find. Thanks again for all the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals