• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I hate Texas Department of Transportation

human5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My shop wants me to get certified for state inspections. The test is tuesday and I can't study for it at all because the book they put out is the most boring shit I've ever read. I can read for about 15 min. then I'm off to something else. Then read again for 15 min. then off to something else. I sure hope I pass this test. Everyone says it's easy.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
I know how you feel, Every week for my Auto Tech course I'm suspost to read 2 chapers, copy 75 definitons for each chaper then do the reveiw questions for each chaper. Sitting still and concentrating on paper work is one of hardest things for me to do, its the reason I got kicked outta High school during my Sophmore year.

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
In NY they have a class and go through most of the info then give the test, Still boring as hell.

human5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sitting still and concentrating on paper work is one of hardest things for me to do, its the reason I got kicked outta High school during my Sophmore year.
That's a hard thing for me too. I can't even finish a movie, only seen 2 full movies in 1 sitting in my life. I'm taking automotive class's too and it's hard for me to do homework sometimes. It helps that a lot of what I'm studying actually intrest me though. So I wanna try to learn what I can which usually means reading the chapter a few times.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't know why you'd want to do it- can't make any money in TX doing inspections... now they are going to emmisions testing so you may be able to make some dough then. BTW, we're neighbors... I'm in Canyon lake.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
its called ADD. whether you believe in it or not, it makes i a bitch to study. i think that alot of us on here have it.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I hear it's better to read in 30 minute intervals as opposed to cramming.

I honestly couldn't tell you though, I simply didn't do homework from 4th grade - Junior year. Had to put a little effort senior year to graduate on time... Most of the time I just slipped by, or they just pushed me through cause I wasn't exactly someone teachers wanted to deal with.

I hated school. A lot.

Pete

Edit:
its called ADD. whether you believe in it or not, it makes i a bitch to study. i think that alot of us on here have it.
Eh. Take an English book and try and read it and pay attention to the content. Next pick up a book about rebuilding Ford small blocks. I bet you won't have a lick of trouble reading the small block book. My problem is that if I don't have any interest, I am simply not wasting my time with it. I was actually an honor holl student from 1st - 3rd, and in college. Something in 4th just clicked and I said F it, why am I doing this?

I think they diagnose EVERY hyper active kid with ADD now a days. Shit, when I was a kid, I was bouncing off the walls, I wonder what kind of meds they would stuck me on.

Last edited:

human5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't know why you'd want to do it- can't make any money in TX doing inspections... now they are going to emmisions testing so you may be able to make some dough then. BTW, we're neighbors... I'm in Canyon lake.
Work mainly wants me to get the certification so that I can help in-fleet cars. We get 15 new cars a week usually and it makes it easier so the other 2 techs can work on other things. In Austin they check for any leaks in the A/C system and if there's any leaks it needs to be fixed on the spot I belive. So there's some money there if you're certified to do A/C work too.

That's cool that you live in Canyon Lake. I'd say let's go mudding but... I got 2wd :(. Heh, in high school a few of my friends and I called Canyon Lake Cold Lake. I remember one New Years Eve I jumped in at like 2 in the morning. Got my ass out quick!

I think the ADD thing in most part is a joke now a days. Some of the kids diagnosed with it have it but a lot, it's just a cop-out cause the parents don't know how to be parents. I was diagnosed with it at like 8, find me an 8 year old that sits still and pays attention and I'll tell you that something is WRONG with that kid. I was put on Ritalin and I was more hyper on it than I was off it.

Last edited:

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
I hear it's better to read in 30 minute intervals as opposed to cramming.

I honestly couldn't tell you though, I simply didn't do homework from 4th grade - Junior year. Had to put a little effort senior year to graduate on time... Most of the time I just slipped by, or they just pushed me through cause I wasn't exactly someone teachers wanted to deal with.

I hated school. A lot.

Pete

Edit:

Eh. Take an English book and try and read it and pay attention to the content. Next pick up a book about rebuilding Ford small blocks. I bet you won't have a lick of trouble reading the small block book. My problem is that if I don't have any interest, I am simply not wasting my time with it. I was actually an honor holl student from 1st - 3rd, and in college. Something in 4th just clicked and I said F it, why am I doing this?

I think they diagnose EVERY hyper active kid with ADD now a days. Shit, when I was a kid, I was bouncing off the walls, I wonder what kind of meds they would stuck me on.

i agree that alot of kids are misdiagnosed with it but there are some people that do have it. it is a legitimate condition but it is very easy to label people that dont have it as having it.

i am one of the ppl that does actually have it. you may notice that many of my posts are rather short. that is normal. pay attention when i write longer ones though because they require real effort on my part.

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, and that's the reason Adderall was invented. :icon_cheers:

redranger02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
im glade we dont have state inspections here. put all though sometime i wish we did. the fact of all the cars that barly run. also the one that dont have brake lights headlights, the one that have brake lights off a trail, jerry riged on there truck or car. for any lenght of time.

human5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I took the test this morning and passed! Time for the beer and the bitches. :icon_cheers:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was diagnosed Adult ADD 10 years ago. Spent 8 months medicated and hated it. Spent a little time in some counseling and learned to deal with it. Turned 45 last month and still deal with it. Makes it hard to clean the garage, or focus on boring stuff at work. If I had to sit at this desk all day every day, I'd go nuts. But luckily, I get to go out in the field almost anytime I want to. Hard to just sit and watch TV or go to movies. Read a book? If the first chapter sucks, forget the book. If it grabs me, I'll finish it in a couple sittings. I can't stand to drive without the radio, my wife HATES the radio while we drive. I win, she doesn't like it when my mind wanders...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals