• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I had to get a replacement Ranger....

Centurion13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
See, my '98 was stolen from my workplace parking lot. The security cameras caught it all.

$12k later, here I am. Everything in my 2005 XLT works great, but one of the dash lights illuminating the lower part of my speedometer is out.

How to replace it? Accessing that area is not as easy as it was on my '74 Beetle.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Usually you remove the trim around the cluster (sometimes includes the center dash portion also) and remove the cluster to access the light bulbs behind the cluster. This also usually requires some janky head stands under the dash to remove the electrical connections and or the speedometer cable. Yours does not have the speedo cable as it is done with a sensor sending the signal to the speedo.

Sorry to hear about the loss of a good truck. Maybe one day you will have the chance to get it back.

you may want to update your rigs info on here so we don't get confused as to what year it actually is.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Centurion, it appears you're one of the more talkative folks on here :)
I don't know if it's true any more or not, but when I got my 93 it was easy to find a Ford CD, the same one they had in their main (dealership) computer, and it had everything there was to know about every vehicle made that year.
I got one for the 93 Ranger in about 2006 for about 5 bucks, and later on around 2018 or so got another one for the 96 Explorer less than ten bucks, both used by Ford in their dealerships, both cover near complete coverage of all those years vehicles.
They;re not as cheap any more, last time I looked they were up around 50 bucks, but they cover just about ever nut and bolt on those vehicles, includes wiring and everything
Mixed of course with the usual chiltons and Haynes and they will certainly pay for themselves
Good luck and best wishes with what you've got going

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It might not be as easy as '74 but....

It is easier if you remove the top cover for the steering column, then if you have tilt column, place it all the way down.

Then there are 3 bolts holding the plastic cover over the guages. Plastic cover is a bit of PIA to pop out, but once out, there are set of bolts holding the instrument panel in place. With them removed, you may tip the instrument panel down and access the light bulbs from the back. They twist out...

I usually replace them all as they aren't that expensive and I don't want to have to do it again right away....

Reassembly is the reverse.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals