• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I found a distributor!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I recommend you take it apart and check it. Several of the Cardone distributors I have bought are just prettied up on the outside, but had old cooked oil and carbon on the inside around the bushings and the bushings had wear in them. They have lousy rebuilds, but they are the only game in town.

NikNak342

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is anything from Cardone built with quality? 😂 Thank you for the advice I will pass it on to my tech. He hasn’t said anything about it but that’s good to know. He said he’s about 50% done with the conversion so far, working on building a harness now. I’m not sure of the details on that, just waiting for part numbers if I need to find anything for it.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I recommend you take it apart and check it. Several of the Cardone distributors I have bought are just prettied up on the outside, but had old cooked oil and carbon on the inside around the bushings and the bushings had wear in them. They have lousy rebuilds, but they are the only game in town.
But they build it better.

Says so right on the box

RC Cola

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I gave up on mid seventies 2.8l distributor, rebuilt or used and I have searched plenty. Still think I'll try franklin2's TFI rewiring and setting timing up to about 20 degrees. I would appreciate a better wiring diagram , drawn or otherwise. My Bronco II / pickup will never see pavement again so I only need it to start and run decent enough for firewood and slash hauling. Good luck with the Cardone rebuild -- they all can not be bad.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here's the diagram to wire the TFI for locked timing. I took the original TFI harness, and traced that group of wires out as far as a could before they went into the firewall, and cut them. Then cut the wires I didn't need off with about a inch sticking out just in case I need to use them later. I then was able to use the old TFI plug and plugged it in the dist. The wires were long enough to reach the coil on the driver's side fender, and the power wire that fed the coil. That is where you tie the power wire to the TFI. And then you have a ground wire, you can use the coil ground wire that grounds the case of the coil. Done.

NikNak342

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tech got the truck put back together and it runs like a dream! Unfortunately we ran across an unrelated issue.. Blown headgasket(s)/possibly cracked head(s)...

UofMfanJJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ExplorerRanger
Transmission
Manual
Tech got the truck put back together and it runs like a dream! Unfortunately we ran across an unrelated issue.. Blown headgasket(s)/possibly cracked head(s)...
Can I please buy it? I have a freshly machined 2.8 with a TFI module distributor and am trying very hard to find a duraspark II distributor

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals