• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I don't want to use 3rd gear!

FordRanger1991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys i just had a question about some lower gearing. I have some headers with a 2.5" exhaust that leads to a flowmaster and i have an electric fan. So i feel that the engine is putting out a little more power than stock. I put a 4 inch lift on my 91 ranger that has a 2.9 liter engine a 5 speed as well as 33 inch tires. As of now i have stock 3.73 gears. That is fine for around town driving but when i hit the freeway going up 6% grades becomes a little challenge. I have to use 3rd gear on freeway and i don't want to use it anymore. I am tired of cars passing me on the hills because i wont pin my truck at 4500 rpm to keep the 70 mph. So i am wondering if 4.56 gears would do the trick for me to enable me to keep it in 4th gear going up those steep hills. If anyone has some knowledge about this that would be great! Also, personal experience would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot for your time!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'd get some 4.88 gears for that.
I have 5.13s w/35s on my 2.9L truck (right about the same overall) and it's just about perfect for it. 6% grades no problem with a downshift to 4th.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
4500 rpm ain't gonna hurt a damn thing on that engine either.

FordRanger1991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Haha ya I know it wont hurt it getting the rpm up that high because I tested the engine a couple times while loosing some toyotas up those hills
but thanks for the comments!

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a calculator I found online that had all the parameters you would need to find out what gearing you wanted.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

This one is much better than any of the ones the tech library has AND!!! it already has the transmission gearing programed in. All you do is play with your tire size/gear ratio combination until you find the one you like.

Have fun

FordRanger1991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya that calculator was sweet it tells you your speeds at different rpms for every gear. So thanks for that because it was really helpfull.
I also learned that if I am in first gear I can go 70 mph if I rev at 1200 rpm Haha
Thanks again!

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
from 3.73 to:
  • 4.10 is a 10% change
  • 4.30 is a 15% change
  • 4.56 is a 22% change

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One thing I found out today is that the gear ratio's may not be correct. I have a m50d with 4.10's and 37" tires. The calculator told me I'd be off by about 10mph at 60. Hopped in my truck with a buddies gps and found out that my speedo is now dead on :dunno: So its not as perfect of a calculator as I had been thinking it was.

FordRanger1991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok ya I understand. For me when I looked it seemed to be pretty close because I put in my gears (3.73 what i have now) and it said my rpm at different speeds and it seemed to be right on target with what really happens. So it seems close at least for my set up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals