• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i-beams to a-arms ???

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lowered beams correct the bow you would get from dropping the truck.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Lowered beams correct the bow you would get from dropping the truck.

Drop beams do help, but when you go more than 7" drop up front like I did and presume the op did, even drop beams start to limit and still bow the tires out. Ever think of using an aerostar front suspension? They are very close to the mustang ii suspension, but are more easily obtainable in the junkyards...

SVT

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wouldn't you have off camber issues if you try to slam it regardless of the type of suspension?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
With arms, you have an upper and lower arm that keep the spindle parallel. With beams, you only have one pivot point, making the spindle pivot like its on a hinge. It's one pivot point vs two pivot points...

SVT

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
To voice my all important and all knowing opinion on this thread:

:vomit: :bad:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, this is more of a passing curiosity to me. I've helped lower a ranger with I-beams but haven't done it myself.

Still as mentioned earlier would swapping a frame or doing a hugely over complicated conversion worth it? Sounds like a new truck to start with would be easier.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Ok, this is more of a passing curiosity to me. I've helped lower a ranger with I-beams but haven't done it myself.

Still as mentioned earlier would swapping a frame or doing a hugely over complicated conversion worth it? Sounds like a new truck to start with would be easier.

Yeah, If you want to do it the easy way. :rolleyes:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cost/benefit analysis FTW

Broncoman1532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Life ain't eat so way should anything I want done be easy. I will check the aerostar sus. Out. If I wanted to swap frames I would do a tube frame. Hell then I would have to body my truck. Ibeams are ok on lifted trucks but a-arms are a pigs mud on slammed trucks. I have done bagged s10s with no problems

Broncoman1532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hate auto correct
I meant to say" life aint easy so why"

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just love being ignored when I take the time to post a reply, so I'll try this one more time.

Previously when I said I don't know of anyone that has installed a-arms on an i-beam frame, I was referring to the 98+ Ranger A-arm suspension. The Crown Vic suspension is too wide for a Ranger, it's usually used on full size trucks as a semi-bolt in swap. I know people to have swapped in clips from other brands such as yota, and a few s-10 swaps IIRC. I know that Mustang II suspension has been installed more than a few times. I also know of one person who built his own custom A-arm set-up, his truck was set-up for road racing and used more than a few professional racing parts.

You seem interested in the later model Ranger suspension, or at least a set-up using factory for parts. The 98+ Ranger suspension could be swapped in, but will take more than just the a-arms. You will need at least the control arms, the spindles, the section of frame and cross member where they mount, and the steering rack. Then you'll have to do a lot of measuring, cutting, and welding to graft that section of the frame into your Ranger's frame. I'm pretty sure the same would hold true for any suspension you wanted to swap into the front. Easiest way to get an A-arm suspension in your truck would be to swap your body onto a 98+ extended cab 2wd frame, everything (except the front suspension) will pretty much bolt on to the new frame.

It's also pretty easy to understand a frame suspension swap. You have your truck and I assume it's paid for. The suspension swap will cost a couple hundred depending on what you can get the parts for or what you want. A frame swap, well you could probably pick up a dead/rolled/totaled Ranger with a perfectly good frame for less than a thousand, and make most of it back by parting out what you don't want. A fresh start on a new truck is going to cost at least a couple thousand for a nice starting point on a 98+ truck, then you have to invest all of the time and money you had in the old truck all over again.

If you are or know a really good welder have you considered pie cutting and modding your drop beams to correct the camber? I think a few people have done this in the past, if not here over on RPS. Can't recall the results they had from it, not something I see discussed too often in the static dropped forums where I usually hang out over there.

Last edited:

Casper98

August 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What do you have against using a yota clip? there are reasons why people use them. They are damn near the same width, same bolt pattern, gets great lift and hardly no camber so you can ride low all the time. If you are thinking about doing a clip swap just SFBD while your at it.

Broncoman1532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry josht, I have looked into the frame swap but I dOnt want to cut and notch the rear again/ buy all new 4 link mounts new rear bag mounts and so on. I have the crown Vic front setup and I think it would be an easier install or even a mustang 2 install.

Casper I will look at the yota stuff. I'm just a diehard ford fan I have a friend that built a yota and it was sick. Full tube chassis bodied, channeled, and chopped

I am trying to find out what I want to do to my truck this winter and the front seems like I want to Change it the most ( if my friend don't buy it)
If he does I am going to do a 98 up ranger or really want to bag an explorer

Broncoman1532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know where I can get a 300,000 + miles award. Was looking at my dash today and saw 327,098 miles. I looked into the history of the truck and it was owned by a roofing company. Crazy I never once looked at the miles. I also checked the glove box the motor has 110,xxx miles and the trans has 90,xxx miles they put some money into the truck 4 months before they sold it to my friend

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals