• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hwy driving and fuel economy...

bayouranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys,

Maybe you can help me out here...

I have a 2007 Ranger with 12,xxx miles on it (I bought it with about 9,xxx) and I've been getting around 13 MPG combined city/hwy. I have a 2wd extended cab sport (stock 16" alcoa rims with 235/75r16 tires) and factory running boards. It's an automatic, and I have 4.10 gears. About 75% of my driving is on the interstate at about 70-75 MPH. Does this sound about right? I try taking it easy when accelerating, and try to anticipate when I need to stop so that I can avoid having to come to a complete stop. I get about 250 miles per tank with the 19.5 gallon tank. I'm OK with this gas mileage (I can afford the gas, and I like what I drive,) but it seems weird that a lot of people I talk to seem to get at least 20 mpg combined.

Thanks in advance.

locknar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Engine Size
4 litre
Transmission
Automatic
it does seem low, with 75% Hwy I can hit 20mpg with 75% city and colder weather 18's. I think the EPA bottom end for heavy acceleration bad habits was 15mpg.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
yes, your lower than you should be. at the very worst id expect 15 or so.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Somethings off, I get closer to 20mpg with 75% of highway driving.

Have you pulled codes at all?

bayouranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Somethings off, I get closer to 20mpg with 75% of highway driving.

Have you pulled codes at all?
No, I haven't. It's practically a new truck though. I figured that it needed to break-in, but now that I'm over 10,000 miles I figure it's broken-in. I also have an aftermarket Magnaflow cat-back.

rustybolt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your MPG is real low. Maybe there's something that's adding additional load to the engine? Perhaps a wheel is dragging for some reason like a damaged brake caliper or whatever... How about a clogged air filter? Is the truck being operated in highly dusty area? Just some thoughts...

bayouranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your MPG is real low. Maybe there's something that's adding additional load to the engine? Perhaps a wheel is dragging for some reason like a damaged brake caliper or whatever... How about a clogged air filter? Is the truck being operated in highly dusty area? Just some thoughts...
I bought the truck from a Ford dealership in September of 2008 with about 9,000 miles on it. Shouldn't they have checked everything out? Maybe that's just wishful thinking, haha.

What's the best way to tell if a wheel is dragging? I mean, besides obviously looking damaged? Would there be any strange sounds?

Sorry to sound so uninformed, the only real mechanical experience I have is with motorcycles, and routine engine maintenance and stuff... not too knowledgeable about anything other than engines, i.e. brakes, suspension, etc.

Oh, and it's not really dusty in south Louisiana. Too wet, lol.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Are you dividing the miles driven by 19.5 (tank size) or by the number of gallons pumped back in?

bayouranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are you dividing the miles driven by 19.5 (tank size) or by the number of gallons pumped back in?
The number of gallons pumped back in. I went ahead and changed my air filter just so that I know when it was last changed. I was thinking about fuel injector cleaner, but I might not do that, not sure if it will mess up anything in the fuel line. I can't physically tell if my wheels are dragging, but I don't hear anything grinding, and I don't feel like there is anything hampering my performance.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
When you say 75% highway at 70-75mph, is this flat out constant or some morning rush hour? I know that I get about 11-13mpg in the winter running highway/city, with easy throttle. But the stop and go or slow and go killed my mileage. I have gotten as high as 23mpg but that was running county highway at 55-60 and then highway at 70mph or less. If you are pushin 3k rpms you are suckin down fuel...........I can run from Albany to Springfield MA and get 19/20. When I hook up my 1500lb popup and pull in drive I am turning 3k rpm and I get at best 14mpg, and yes I understand I have weight on but I keep the revs very constant and no more than 3500. It does point out that the truck sucks down fuel at 3k and above.

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Humidity is a mileage and horsepower killer. But that is not all Hi humidity may kill. It also helps in the selfdestructiveness of the cathalytic converters functionality. I don't think your truck has this problem yet but eventualy your cathalythic converters will let go.
Now as for your mileage is concern I tend to believe it may be very affected if the humidity in your heck of the woods is always over 60%. As of how much will it affect your mileage negatively that I don't know.
Try instaling a Hi flow air filter and give your throttle body a good clean up.
Call me a few bubbles off center but give the throttle body clean up a chance. It has helped me and some of my customers a lot.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
That is terrible, I average 15-17 in town with 37s. And about 15 on the highway. Do you hammer down everywhere or what? Something isnt right with it. Check and see if it has any code stored. Having only 10k on it the throttle body shouldnt be dirty. Something isnt right.

bayouranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When you say 75% highway at 70-75mph, is this flat out constant or some morning rush hour? I know that I get about 11-13mpg in the winter running highway/city, with easy throttle. But the stop and go or slow and go killed my mileage. I have gotten as high as 23mpg but that was running county highway at 55-60 and then highway at 70mph or less. If you are pushin 3k rpms you are suckin down fuel...........I can run from Albany to Springfield MA and get 19/20. When I hook up my 1500lb popup and pull in drive I am turning 3k rpm and I get at best 14mpg, and yes I understand I have weight on but I keep the revs very constant and no more than 3500. It does point out that the truck sucks down fuel at 3k and above.
No traffic at all. I run at around 2400 RPM at 65-70 MPH, never go much over 3000 RPM except under heavy acceleration. I also set my cruise at about 70-75 and leave it there for my commute to school. I drive about 60 miles a day, 45 miles on the interstate with no traffic and the rest is through my campus which has a good bit of stop-and-go.

As for the humidity, I've been living here all my life and I ALWAYS get EPA estimates or better. So I don't think that's why it's so low. I did change the air-filter and I notice that my throttle response is a LOT better--so I'm guessing that a dirty air-filter may have been a culprit. But still that should only be about a 10% increase in the best-case scenario. I might take it to the dealership to check codes. It's still under warranty, so I'll just talk to the dealership. Thanks for all of the tips/help guys, much appreciated! :headbang:

bayouranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you hammer down everywhere or what? Something isnt right with it.
Not really... never more than half throttle, and most of the time not even more than 20-25% I'd imagine. The only time I go to about half-throttle is going up steep bridges (no hills in S. Louisiana,) or if I'm passing a big rig on the interstate. That sucks because everyone drives about 85 MPH (speed limit is 70,) and I try to drive about 65 MPH as much as possible. Kinda scary when big rigs zoom pass at 85. :shok:

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4.10s are not a good gear ratio for highway driving you will run higher rpms with them that would explain your poor gasmileage i had a yota with 5.29s and 35s and i got about 25 on the highway but those motors lived in the high rpm range. but just watch your rpms i am going with that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals