• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hub stuck on axle

Pops Canardley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1980?
Make / Model
Utility trailer
Hello,
First time poster. Need some solid advice. I have a custom made trailer with an older "disposable" type mobile home axle. And I committed the ultimate sin of not paying attention to the wheel bearings (and no bearing buddies). The bearing ran out of grease and the hub spun on the outer bearing surface and is now stuck on the axle spindle. I attempted to pull off the hub with a wheel puller and had no luck. Tried heating with a torch and smacking with a 5lb sledge....didn't move. (although I'm not convinced I got it hot enough)
I believe the hub is toast... the way it rotates on the outer part of the bearing like that. I wonder if the axle is salvageable after that unit got so hot.
Any ideas how to get the hub off would be appreciated? And is it even worth the effort at this point??

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not really sure how their constructed. But on a couple axles if had to use a grinder and cut off disc's to remove stubborn parts. Slice in, not all the way in a few spots, then use your sledge to break it off. It may have to be cut and broken a few times in order to save the spindle. Sometimes a cold chisel will help split the cut.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I once bought an older axle for 25 bucks, it was an old U-haul drop axle I knew nothing about.
After building a trailer onto it I realized it would never work without a very large wheel to fit on it.

I wound up going and buying another axle to go on it, with a straight axle :)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Hello,
First time poster. Need some solid advice. I have a custom made trailer with an older "disposable" type mobile home axle. And I committed the ultimate sin of not paying attention to the wheel bearings (and no bearing buddies). The bearing ran out of grease and the hub spun on the outer bearing surface and is now stuck on the axle spindle. I attempted to pull off the hub with a wheel puller and had no luck. Tried heating with a torch and smacking with a 5lb sledge....didn't move. (although I'm not convinced I got it hot enough)
I believe the hub is toast... the way it rotates on the outer part of the bearing like that. I wonder if the axle is salvageable after that unit got so hot.
Any ideas how to get the hub off would be appreciated? And is it even worth the effort at this point??
If it helps any, trailer hubs are often like the front brake rotors on a RWD Ranger. The outer bearing is inset some. So cutting may be a problem. I don’t have a solution for the OP but that info might help you think of one for them.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the axle part is not replaceable then you will need to get a whole new/used axle to install

When you "spin" a bearing on an axle or in an engine, the journal needs to be re-machined so you can install a slightly larger/smaller bearing
Not sure if you can "turn" a trailer axle

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Unless you're really strapped for money, and ain't we all, a new axle wasn't a lot of money about 10 or 12 years ago, course I haven't been anywhere near a trailer place for quite some time.
I think about any metal place could make one well enough

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals