• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HP and Torque?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

So if a 5.0 HO from a '92 Thunderbird is rated at 200/275 hp/torque, and the '91 Crown Vic motor is rated at 150/270, is the HO motor actually stronger even though the torque is nearly the same? What differences would be noticed if driving each of them in the same vehicle?

And while you're here, check out some of the stuff I bought recently... a rust/dent free bed and tail gate, a section of cab to repair mine, and a tach cluster all for only $150!!! And I also found a rust/dent free door at another place for $50.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The heads and camshaft are the difference Between those two applications. The Vic heads run out of steam at a lower rpm.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I believe the 5.0 HO in the t-birds was a more restricted version of the one in the Mustang. Looking back, it's funny how we used to consider 200hp High Output!

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Horsepower is a function of torque and rpm

(torque X RPM)/5252 = HP

So it's just a function of the calmer engine running out of air (heads, intake, cam, valvetrain, etc) earlier as baddad said.

Horsepower and torque curves on a four stroke engine always cross at 5252rpm.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They also have a different intake, tune and exhaust.

I find it kind of weird that a roller cam, over half a point of compression and multi-port fuel injection only gave my '87 15hp over my '78 that had a 1.08 venturi 2bbl carb (sought after for 2.8's), 8.4:1 compression and a flat tappet cam.

I know the heads are not supposed to be the best, but neither are the '78's... I just wonder how much of that rating is related to the crap surrounding the engine vs just the longblock itself.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I believe the 5.0 HO in the t-birds was a more restricted version of the one in the Mustang. Looking back, it's funny how we used to consider 200hp High Output!
His T-Bird HO motor also has the 86 Stang's E6SE heads. The 93's got the E7's (I think), plus the 93 Cobra cam. All had the same intake (and FEAD) later used on the 94-95 Stangs.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I think that the tuning of the computer in the T-bird was also why its engine made less power then the Mustangs 5.o. I am talking about the 87 and up T-birds.

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know the t-bird had a smaller cam than the mustang but not sure about the vic. also the intake on the tbird looks like the 94-95 stang but it was shorter with smaller runners.
I am not sure but I think they came with 55 mm mass air meters and 52 mm throttle bodies as well.
also the newer vics(with the 4.6) never had true dual exhaust it went into one then back out to 2 pipes @ the back so the older ones may have been the same. I know thats how some of the lincolns were

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
His T-Bird HO motor also has the 86 Stang's E6SE heads. The 93's got the E7's (I think), plus the 93 Cobra cam. All had the same intake (and FEAD) later used on the 94-95 Stangs.
So are you saying that a '92 T-Bird 5.0 HO has the same craptastic E6 heads that my '91 Crown Vic motor has? Does it also have the pistons with no valve reliefs? I think that '92 was the last year for forged pistons in the T-Bird 5.0 HO. The reason I'm asking is because there is a '91 or '92 Cougar in the pick n pull with the 5.0 HO that I wanted to get and put a big cam in it, but not if it's the same pistons and heads as my Crown Vic motors. I always figured the T-Bird 5.0 HO had normal pistons and E7 heads... but I don't know much about engines really.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
So will the engine with more hp, but the same torque, be able to accelerate the same car faster than the engine with lesser hp? Let's figure on using the best possible rear end gear ratio for each, but otherwise identical cars.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So are you saying that a '92 T-Bird 5.0 HO has the same craptastic E6 heads that my '91 Crown Vic motor has? Does it also have the pistons with no valve reliefs? I think that '92 was the last year for forged pistons in the T-Bird 5.0 HO. The reason I'm asking is because there is a '91 or '92 Cougar in the pick n pull with the 5.0 HO that I wanted to get and put a big cam in it, but not if it's the same pistons and heads as my Crown Vic motors. I always figured the T-Bird 5.0 HO had normal pistons and E7 heads... but I don't know much about engines really.
You can verify the heads by checking for the presence of an "S" located in the front corner of the passenger side head, right next to the valve cover.Same letter will be found on the oppositer end of the driver's side head. E7 heads have a "T" in this same location. If it has "S" heads, it's got pistons without valve reliefs (unless a different short block was mistakenly used somehow) It WILL have the HO cam in a 91-92 motor. For some reason, the cam list doesn't show the T-Bird motor for 89-90, pre 89's have the Vic cam.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I know the t-bird had a smaller cam than the mustang but not sure about the vic. also the intake on the tbird looks like the 94-95 stang but it was shorter with smaller runners.
I am not sure but I think they came with 55 mm mass air meters and 52 mm throttle bodies as well.
also the newer vics(with the 4.6) never had true dual exhaust it went into one then back out to 2 pipes @ the back so the older ones may have been the same. I know thats how some of the lincolns were
The 91-92 T-bird/Cougar motors have the same cam as the HO's got. 93's got the GT40 Cobra cam.

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Little bit of info to add.
There was no 5.0 Thunderbird in 1989 and 1990, that's why you're not seeing specs...

Also, 1993 Cougar/Thunderbird were available with the Cobra engine (F3ZE cam,etc.). I'm not sure if every 5.0 H.O. was the Cobra version, but this can easily be researched if anyone feels the need. Here's the cam chart for various 5.0 models.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/5-0l-tech/41463d1206189719-cobra-cam-vs-gt-cam-cam-specs.gif

I'm not 100% on the '93 Cougar/Tbird details, but I've heard of the 1.7 RRs, definitely the short sn95 FEAD and intake manifold, but I do not recall if these included gt40 heads like the 1993 Mustang cobra.

What was the question again, lol...

So will the engine with more hp, but the same torque, be able to accelerate the same car faster than the engine with lesser hp? Let's figure on using the best possible rear end gear ratio for each, but otherwise identical cars.
If you're talking about similar engines, and a similar torque peak rpm, such as the 5.0 engines mentioned, the higher revving (higher horsepower) engine should walk all over the lower revving (but similar torque number) version. This is not a generalization, however. (think turbo diesel vs. 4.6 truck)

Last edited:

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And a little more discussion, my donor engine actually came from a 1992 Lincoln Mark VII, as you can see, is has forged pistons with valve reliefs, and up until the moment this pic was taken, it had E7 heads.

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 91-92 T-bird/Cougar motors have the same cam as the HO's got. 93's got the GT40 Cobra cam.
yeah you maybe correct we pulled the motor out of a 93 and it had less lift. I am not sure about the 91/92 birds.I do know the cobra cams had less lift on the cam but made up for it with the 1.7 rockers. something about piston to valve clearance or something like that.lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals