• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to Wire Topper Brake Light and Dome Light

Arolsma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My buddy and I are working on wiring the brake light and the dome light for my Leer topper on my 2010 Ranger XL Regular Cab. The brake light has two wires coming out of it as does the dome light. I understand that we can tap into the brake light at the back of the truck to wire the topper brake light, but that would require some sort of module to prevent the topper brake light from flashing when the turn signals are on. It sounds like I would rather not go that route. I have also heard about some green wire that should be somewhere on the truck and can be used for the brake light. I think it is supposed to be under the fuse box, but I don't see it. Where might this green wire be? As for the dome light, I am thinking of wiring it to the running lights at the back of the truck, to the dome light in the cab, or even right to the battery. The dome light has a on/off switch on it. Is there any reason that one of these methods for wiring the dome light would be superior, or is it just personal preference? Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the 2000 to 2011 Rangers didn't have a "brake light" wire at the back, they have a Left turn/brake wire and a Right turn/brake wire, its called a 2 wire system
And no "green" brake light wires in 2010, that was on older Rangers

Dome light in a shell is more practical if it can be used without the key being on, but can also run down a battery if its left on, so there is a choice to make on that

You will need to run two 12volt wires to the cab, 18gauge, one for brake light and one for Dome light in any case, so use two different color wires
Each canopy bulb will have a Ground wire, they can be grounded at the frame in the rear
Canopy should have a Disconnect so you can just unplug the wires when canopy is removed, trailer connectors work fine for this

Brake light in 2010 Ranger uses a Purple/white stripe wire
Easiest access to the purple/white wire is at the Brake pedal switch under the dash

Unhook one battery cable, either one doesn't matter, do this any time you are working on electrical systems, even unplugging and plugging back in wires

Under the dash on the brake pedal assembly is a plunger type switch that activates brake lights, it will have a 4 wire connector, unplug it
You will see the purple/white wire, you need to Tap this wire, it will have 12v but only when brake lights are activated
I would use a 5amp inline fuse here, just in case, but up to you

If you want full time 12v for the Canopy dome light its also there at the brake pedal switch
There will be a Blue/red stripe wire on this connector, it has 12volts full time, again I would put another 5amp inline fuse on this wire
Canopy dome light would then have 12v all the time and you turn it on and off using its switch
You could install a switch in the cab to disable the 12v going to canopy dome light, if you are worried about leaving it on

Reason for the 5amp inline fuses is because these new added wires will not be as protected as factory wiring that is inside a harness
A short in one of the new wires would blow the 20amp brake light fuse in the cab fuse box, and you would lose all brake lights
If you add the 5amp fuses then just that fuse blows if there is a short on the new wires

If you want canopy dome light to come on anytime interior dome light comes on, i.e. like when you open a door, then there is "green"/blue stripe wire on the wiring harness for the fuse box in passenger side kick panel
Its on pin 8 of C2280C
In 2010 the interior light switch on the dash is a ground control, so not easy to use to activate canopy dome light, can be done, but you will need to add a relay

Arolsma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for your help!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I tapped into third brake light and dome light wires at the cab 3rd brake light/dome/ cargo light location. Ran my wires above the back of the headliner and down the rear corner of the cab behind the molding and out through a hole&grommet in the floor at the rear of the cab.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, cab's 3rd brake light is a good place to wire to if it also has Cargo light option
If your 3rd brake light on the cab just has one red lens and not two white lens's on each side then there would be no cargo light option on your Ranger

And you don't mind having interior dome light and exterior cargo lights on when using the canopy's dome light, some prefer to have canopy dome light independent, i.e. for camping
Its a users choice

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I tapped off the third brake light for the topper third brake light and tan a new fused 12v power back for the light on my green Ranger. Used a waterproof connector in the bed after bringing the wires up through a hole in the bed by the drivers side taillight, had to pop the taillight out to do it. Did pretty much the same thing for dad’s 99 Ranger. I also converted mine to LED bulbs.

My first Ranger I had a shop do the work when I bought the cap. Those dips used a T-tap to pull off the taillights circuit for both and a thing to keep the brake light from flashing with turn signals, but it also meant that to use the cap light, the parking lights needed to be on, which when camping was a terrible idea because it killed the battery fast. It’s a fast and cheap way to wire it up, but totally a terrible way to do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals