• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to tighten parking brake?

JackLikesTrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 I4
Transmission
Manual
Seriously. In another thread I replaced all the parking brake cable and have new shoes, drums, hardware, etc. And all is exactly is it should be installed and star adjusters adjusted.

But the p brake goes to the floor just to hold the truck on a grade.

Is that normal? Cause if there's a bed load, uh bye-bye. She's not holding.

I'd like to have full-lockup of the wheels with half-down parking pedal.

Not half-lockup with full-down pedal.

Any ideas?

Sprag-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The e-brake pedal has a ratcheting mechanism behind it... If it's ratcheted up as much cable as it can already, that means your adjusters weren't out far enough.

Ranger4657

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.ohh nooo
Transmission
Automatic
myne did the same when i replaced the break shoes... but i just drove it around for a while and the adjusters adjusted and now its fine.

Sprag-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Un-ratchet the ebrake cable...

back your adjusters as far out as you can and still barely get the drums on, then re-ratchet in the cable.

JackLikesTrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 I4
Transmission
Manual
Here's the problem. On an '02, there is no ratcheting anything anywhere. The cable are a set length and there is no turnbuckle or any adjustment anywhere.

What I did do was ratchet out the star adjusters till the drum drags and thenpumped the brake and the ebrake a few tiime to "seat" the brakes to dead center when floating. When there was any extra play from centering, I tightenened up the adjsuters till they dragged slightly. Did this 2-3 times until there was no change either side, the cable was without slack.

JackLikesTrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 I4
Transmission
Manual
Found the problem.

The driver side horizontal bar came out of its place against the shoes and fell to the bottom the drum area. No damage other than a bent bar. Had to get another one.

Put all the harware back to factory positions, on both sides, reset the star adjusters and the parking brake pedal now grabs at 1/3 the way down and is in hard lock on the brake at 1/2 the way down. Very pleased.

Thanks for all your helps. Glad the factory design still works when everything is right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals