• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to replace intake gasket???

02 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2008
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l, 6.4l
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so my ranger has been loosing coolant for a little while now and i took it to my mechanic and he said it was coming from the upper intake gasket and told me to put in a bottle of some stop leak stuff the radiator. It stopped for about a week or 2 and yesterday when i was driving from my house to my sisters house (about 130 miles) it lost about half of what was in the tank (not the radiator but the housing on the passenger side of the engine). I can see the water drip and it drips from the passenger side of the block towards the front. Can anyone tell me how to troubleshoot this so i can know for sure whats wrong?
Thanks, Abel

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
take off the intake and inspect the gasket. get a new one anyway. cant hurt

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Its really simple. Just a few bolts. If you plan on working on your truck you really should invest in a shop manual

02 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2008
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l, 6.4l
Transmission
Automatic
Its really simple. Just a few bolts. If you plan on working on your truck you really should invest in a shop manual
like a chilton? because i just ordered one. Should be in tomorrow!

inuyasha2875

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there are 6 bolts or studs holding the upper intake on you need to unhook the trotle cable and any electrical connections it is fairly eazy to do when you get you book it will help you out alot

02 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2008
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l, 6.4l
Transmission
Automatic
there are 6 bolts or studs holding the upper intake on you need to unhook the trotle cable and any electrical connections it is fairly eazy to do when you get you book it will help you out alot
i got the book today. I am going to try it tomorrow. Can you guys tell me what size of screw i will need to take the bolt out? I think its a torx one

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I know the upper intake is a torx 30 but not very familiar with the lower intake specifications. I started posting before I realized your dealing with the SOHC platform, not the OHV.

After a little more research, looks like the lower intake bolts are just 8mm hex bolts.

Last edited:

02 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2008
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l, 6.4l
Transmission
Automatic
I know the upper intake is a torx 30 but not very familiar with the lower intake specifications. I started posting before I realized your dealing with the SOHC platform, not the OHV.

After a little more research, looks like the lower intake bolts are just 8mm hex bolts.
yeah well today i was removing everything so i can take off the upper intake and i got the left 4 screws off easy and the first 3 on the right too but he far back one is a pain! I finally found it but my ratchet decided to let the torx 30 fall off :( now i have to wait for a ride to the auto parts to get another lol

02 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2008
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l, 6.4l
Transmission
Automatic
You lost the socket? Where did it go?
I have no idea. Some where behind the engine. It didnt fall on the ground. But i gave up on it. I am going to wait for me to start school so i can work on my truck in their shop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals