• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to fix this

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
The sheet metal reinforcement that runs parallel to the beam at some point has been bent. The p-brake cable is running over the edge of it. I believe the cable is supposed to run inside and roughly parallel to the reinforcement, isn't that true?
It seems like what I want is a really small jack that could fit in there against the beam and bend that back. I don't think I'll be able to move it with a crowbar, it's pretty thick.
What I was thinking is set wood blocks against the beam and the bent reinforecment and try to pry it back.
I have no idea if it was always like this for a long time or what because I never noticed it but then I never really got under there and took a good look at everything. I don't see any obvious indication where it was hit or something. I think someone probably tried to jack the truck up using it and it bent it.
The p-brake works fine and the sheathing isn't really very worn but I think it's really bad for it to be rubbing right on the edge there.
IMG_3262.JPG

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It's sheet metal, try pulling it by hand before you get too crazy or get a combination of short 2x4's and use that as leverage, one short one as a fulcrum and another ~2' long as a lever, should be about the right gap...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
On that, I'd give it a try with a plumbing pipe wrench. Run the jaws closed on the short flange part, handle down. Should have enough leverage to pull the bend out and upwards.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
A big Mexican speed wrench (adjustable) would work well too.

That's how I always straightened a bent BMX bike chain ring.. work from the start of the bend to the other end of the bend.. slowly reshape.. gravy.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
It's sheet metal but let me tell you it's rugged. I got it moved quite a bit by piling up wood blocks under it to support hardwood blocks in place and used a 2' crowbar and I put all my strength into it and gradually worked it back mostly. I still have a little ways to go and can't budge it further so will try to see if I can get my 6' rock bar in there. I just need more leverage. At least now the brake cable isn't riding over the edge of it, it's much better, just need to move it a little more. I can see from my '99, that has the same construction, that the brake cable should clear it by about an inch (to the inside). It doesn't have to be perfect, really as long as it clears by something it'd be fine. Kind of had put off doing this.
Wrench I tried but it just bent the lip of the thing it didn't move it at the bend which is more at the base of the thing. It would for any final cosmetic shaping if needed of the lip though.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Weird, how in the hell did that happen without other stuff getting bent I wonder?

A porta-power jack with a spreader attachment and some wood blocks would get that fixed up easily. Or your rock bar and room to maneuver it!

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
how in the hell did that happen
I got the truck a year ago and I never noticed it until I was looking for the xfr case and trans vents to raise them. I've wondered too, and one way it could happen is if somebody tried to jack on it. The way it's shaped is kind of a projection down. The funny thing is you can't see and scrape or rub marks or something to indicate exactly how it was forced askew.
The only other way it could happen is, it left the factory like that - doubtful - or it got hit from the side somehow. It's not a concern structurally I just am getting it so the brake cable doesn't touch it. The protuding (down) part of it should end up just about even or a tiny bit lower than the brake cable and maybe 1" outboard of it. So I have just a bit left to go, am going to try a 4' 2x2 next then the rock bar if that doesn't work.
The Carfax had report of a accident minor damage driver's side, back I think around 2001 or something but I never have seen any indication of a fix like you might see overspray or mismatch in color, etc and I don't see anything like that at all. Plus it would have had to have been something really low to do that underneath. On the other hand it's been the bane of my existence with this truck that it has no door jamb label so one could hypothesize that it was taken off during a fix but then typically it would have been replaced plus like I say I don't see any evidence of anything being other than factory.
Or somebody was offroad and came down on a rock, but again, you'd think to see scrapes or rubs or uneven denting etc. and what's happened is it's bent at the base so, yeah, weird.
Yep the first thing I thought of way back was jaws of life that would open it right up but I don't have anything like that. I could almost fit a floor jack in there, not quite.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
The 4' was the leverage I needed. Got it clearing the cable by a good 1/2" whether brake is on or off. Mazda's clearance is a little more than that but there could be little differences in the builds; as long as it has no chance of rubbing, that's what's important. And the bent piece looks right now. Calling it resolved. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals