• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to combat frame rust?

4DR99'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 99 4wd and it only has 40k on the dial. the problem is that th eold man who had it before me only drove it on crappy salty snowy days in NY and then put it in a heated garage thus causing the frame to rust. any suggestions on how to combat the damage that is already done? any new remadies?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well... you could have the frame sandblasted... that would clean all the rust off.... but not exactly a cheap way to go.

If you're looking for a quick/cheap solution, if it was mine, I'd probably have it oil undercoated where they spray a type of oil all over the underside of the truck. I've been told it's best to find a country road that has just been covered in fresh limestone, then have the oil sprayed on and take a couple trips up an down the road to get the dust stuck in the oil to make a sort of goo. Been told it works great at preventing rust.

My old boss had a dump truck that had a hydro line blow when the bed was being raised... that did a pretty good job of oil undercoating his truck.... but I wouldn't recommend that method.... it happened 3/4 of the way up a sloping concrete driveway, lol.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you need to wire brush the rust off and coat it with herculiner, both sides of the rail...... does it have any holes? if it does i hope you can weld. I just scrapped a truck with a hole in the frame.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Oil spray is about the best thing for rust prevention. And also yes get it dirty after you get the oil on. Rock dust or just road dust works good. Nothing muddy, you want dry dusty dirt of some sort to embed into the oil. get enough on there and it it starts to turn into a nice hard gray crust that repels salt and water. Its ugly and messy when you need to work on the truck but having a frame not rusting to dust and chunks is a good thing in exchange.

This last week end I was replacing my bed on my truck. Before I put the newer bed on to the truck I quite literally painted (couldn't find a cheap sprayer =>) the entire box on the bottom side including up inside the fenders with oil prior to putting it on the truck.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Oil spray is about the best thing for rust prevention. And also yes get it dirty after you get the oil on. Rock dust or just road dust works good. Nothing muddy, you want dry dusty dirt of some sort to embed into the oil. get enough on there and it it starts to turn into a nice hard gray crust that repels salt and water. Its ugly and messy when you need to work on the truck but having a frame not rusting to dust and chunks is a good thing in exchange.

This last week end I was replacing my bed on my truck. Before I put the newer bed on to the truck I quite literally painted (couldn't find a cheap sprayer =>) the entire box on the bottom side including up inside the fenders with oil prior to putting it on the truck.
Hydro fluid seems to work best.... it positively resists being washed off of metal

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just set up a tank of ATF and drive on through it.

Just be ready to replace the brakes right away.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
i don't know how it works or if it is any good but power block talked about a electro magnetic unit that sends a charge through metal that resists rust. like 2 hundo don't think you wanna go that far

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Paint the frame with that pink rust remover gel, hose it, let it dry, and paint it with Rustoleum primer and regular Rustoleum. That's the best I got. Gonna try it on my daughter's Jeep in the Spring.

Paleoman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if it was mine, I'd probably have it oil undercoated where they spray a type of oil all over the underside of the truck.

I live in western PA and people have been oil undercoating for 25 or more years! They use used motor oil. They rig up sprayers. They spray inside the doors, tailgates and everywhere with long rods. I made a homemade jobber. Works great!

People who have been doing this for years have NO rust, and It will stop rust dead in it's tracks.

It works bro!

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
CHASSIS SAVER STOPS RUST AND SEALS THE METAL TO PREVENT RUST. its not cheap but it well worth it

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
thats gotta be good for the enviroment. i kno hydraulic fluid(atleast military grade) will not come off anything.

4DR99'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
you need to wire brush the rust off and coat it with herculiner, both sides of the rail...... does it have any holes? if it does i hope you can weld. I just scrapped a truck with a hole in the frame.
no holes in it ....yet thats what i'm hopein to prevent.
i don't know how it works or if it is any good but power block talked about a electro magnetic unit that sends a charge through metal that resists rust. like 2 hundo don't think you wanna go that far
i'm glad u reminded me of that i do remember seein that one and thought will i ever need that one day...

i think after i find a way of getting the rust off this is what i will do

then put more oil on it b/c its cheaper than buying a welder and the metal needed then screwing it up and being out a DD

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have one of those on my Ranger. My frame and body still started to rust. Either they didn't get it installed correctly or it doesn't completely stop rust. When I went back and complained they just shrugged and said that it may get a lil surface rust and that it was warrantied against a panel rusting through for 10 years.

Paint the frame with that pink rust remover gel, hose it, let it dry, and paint it with Rustoleum primer and regular Rustoleum. That's the best I got. Gonna try it on my daughter's Jeep in the Spring.
That gel is supposed to be really caustic... I've used it before but I'm still undecided as to if it actually works as well as they claim. And I've all but given up on Rustoleum primer and paint. I found that Tractor Supply has oil based primer and paint so I've been trying that.

I live in western PA and people have been oil undercoating for 25 or more years! They use used motor oil. They rig up sprayers. They spray inside the doors, tailgates and everywhere with long rods. I made a homemade jobber. Works great!

People who have been doing this for years have NO rust, and It will stop rust dead in it's tracks.

It works bro!
lol, funny, I live in Western, PA too. I've been thinking of doing it myself, but I probably woln't use used oil... I've been using what I have of that for oil finishing my shed.:icon_twisted: Probably just use some hydro fluid next time it has to be changed on the machine or dump truck.

thats gotta be good for the enviroment. i kno hydraulic fluid(atleast military grade) will not come off anything.
:icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals