• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how reliable are the v6 3.0

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Its does matter because the guy that sold it to me three years ago must have installed the syncro wrong when he replaced the motor. The only possible causes for my eng light are out of sync cps or an ecm failure or incorrect perameters set in ecm. Especially with this code by itself, if i had two codes it would be easier to narrow the prob down.
Ok my bad I see now. Because you have a code, in order for you to get it correct you would have to set TDC compression. I didn't have a code I just figured I would replace it based on the response I got and it turned out to be right.

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
I have 85000 on my truck should I replace my cps? I have a squeel but its only at startup in the morning when its cold so I think its just the belt

DakarMarc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Worse case, just pop it out, take a look at the gear and use that as your judgement. Make sure it goes back in exactly as you pulled it out. No more than an hour of your time.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have 85000 on my truck should I replace my cps? I have a squeel but its only at startup in the morning when its cold so I think its just the belt
Mine squeels too but I don't think it's the belt. I just replaced my cam syncro and that squeel went away but theres still another...it's also intermittent.

and Sludge, will it throw a code if you put it in wrong? or just the symptoms you described?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it will usually throw a code...but not all the time.

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Haha this guy who started this thread is probably all nervous now to own one of these trucks. :sorrysign:
actually I already bought one, nervous..no, better educated now...yes.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How bad would your gas mileage be if you installed it wrong Sludge?:damnit1::icon_rofl:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
that i dont know. i wouldnt image it would be effected much. the cam position sensor is ignored after a certain RPM. its really only needed for startup so the PCM knows what stroke the engines on when you first power it up.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that i dont know. i wouldnt image it would be effected much. the cam position sensor is ignored after a certain RPM. its really only needed for startup so the PCM knows what stroke the engines on when you first power it up.
ok:icon_rofl:I filled it up yesterday, drove to college and back home, about 35 miles altogether, and I was under 3/4 :icon_rofl::yahoo:I went back today and filled it back up...6.5 gals....and i'm going to drive like I normally do, not pedal to the metal like I was the other day...

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
not enough of a test period. the pump could have clicked off early or what have you. run a full tank through it and see what happends.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
not enough of a test period.
Agreed, he'll need to do about 10 tanks fulls to arrive at an average that can be used for comparison, as long as the driving conditions (temp, terrain, hwy/city, load, etc.) are the same.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Agreed, he'll need to do about 10 tanks fulls to arrive at an average that can be used for comparison, as long as the driving conditions (temp, terrain, hwy/city, load, etc.) are the same.
Well that'll never happen here in good ol' NC...we had snow earlier this week, ice, and the week before it was in the 70's...

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
Well that'll never happen here in good ol' NC...we had snow earlier this week, ice, and the week before it was in the 70's...
sounds like maryland, lol 8 inches of snow on monday then 65 degrees right now

(sorry for the hijack im done )

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
I think you guys seem to be making the whole job more confusing that it needs to be. Either don't touch the engine, and put the new cam syncro in exactly as the old one came out, or pull the old one out and the heck with the engine position. Find compression TDC of #1 cylinder, line up the marks at 0 degrees on the timing ring with the black camshaft position sensor. Then install the syncro and make sure that the little tab is in the middle.:icon_thumby::icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

For me there was no out of time, and no idiot lights either.

Check out here for some pics and a longer explanation.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226289&highlight=replacing+cam+sync
Big or small, thick or thin, vasaline will get it in!

Most groovy link for this job! I haven't gotten this far just yet, but it is clear as a bell to me at least. Not to demean the others because they gave me a fairly good understanding but now all fears of the unknown are gone! The pics are perfect illustrations and man is that ever a squeaky clean motor!

Thanks for your insight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals