• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how does your 2.9 run on the interstate

59flatbedford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i have a 89 ranger ext cab 4wd with the 5 speed and 2.9l and it has no power on the highway. Im trying to figure out if my motor is just wore out or if i have something wrong besides the little stuff. I know my motor is a little worn but it seems to run fine in town but anything over 45 is no power. On the interstate i have to have a good tail wind to even dream of hitting 75. Down hill i can sometimes hit 65 but it seems like at any sign of a hill or head wind its 55 tops. It does have a hiccup about 3000 rpm that i haven't figured out yet. So does anybody have a similar truck that can maybe give me an ideal if my motor is really that underpowered or if its just par for the course. I am at fairly high elevation about 7000 which im sure hurts it some but it just seems that i should have more power.

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i think you have something wrong i don't know what that could be though. First i would check the compression. and do a normal tune up. I had 31's on my 2.9 4x4 and i could hit 90 in 3rd gear with 3.73 gears. even when i put 33's and still had 3.73s i could hit about 85 in 4th. now i re-geared so i have 33's and 4.10's and its about the same as it was with the 31's and 3.73's.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I can do 75+mph without any trouble, and I am in dire need of a throttle cable adjustment

edit - I am on my 2nd Bronco2 with a 2.9l, and they both had no problems attaining highway speeds, even when the first one had a blown clutch.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i used to drive mine 400+ miles back and forth to school, it was sluggish at first, but after a few hundred miles, it would run great.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Its not a 2.9, but i am able to hit 60 fairly easy in my B2 with a 2.8

trev23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Automatic
i have the 2.9 with 3.73s and 30's and it does very well even living in bc canada were you can't drive 2 mins without having to go up a steep hill

Sultan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine is best at 60.

TH533

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya somethings wrong with yours. Mine tops out about 95 with 31's and 3.73 gearing. I have the 2.9 5speed and mines 4x4. Mine doesnt start loosing steam till about 75. and i can haul to 75 pretty fast in 3rd. Only mods are exhaust, air intake and distrubutor and wires. without all that it could still do 75 in 3rd.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine got worse gas mileage on the highway than city. 60-65 max speed, until I had to go uphill. Then it drops quick. Having cruise is pretty much pointless.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
my b2 maxed out at 105 (or that's what the guy behind me in a dodge told me) , but i had lifter issues so i had to do it on a cold engine, once it got hot the oil thinned out and i couldn't keep up that kind of speed, but for a quick burst it worked.

that said, keeping it at 80 with cruise on worked fine.

59flatbedford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well im running 235-75 tires and im not sure of the gears but i assume they are probably 3.73s. I was going to check the compression once but the tester my dad had wouldn't fit down in the hole so i need to get a different end and do that. It also had a severely plugged fuel filter so not sure if there was a bunch of stuff in the tank that washed down the line and plugged it again. It also has that hicup about 3000 rpm that i haven't figured out yet, maybe an injector not working all the time or something. Im going to have to do some checking when it warms up and see if i can figure something out.

jhammel85

^ all that is probably tied in. This won't help fix those issues but it might still be a problem for you since it seems to be pretty common:

My truck has always been sooooo sloooowww. I always figured it was because it's an auto, 3.73's and 30 inch tires. After that it was awful trying to merge onto the highway or maintain anything.

This weekend I found that my cable was way stretched. Look up the Zip Tie Mod. I fit about 4 of those suckers down there and now it's way, way better all around. I was only opening at about 2/3 of my throttle with the pedal to the floor.

It even shifts better which I'm guessing is because the TV cable is now in sync with the throttle (just a guess). So check that too!

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You definately have a problem. I'm in a bone-stock '88 with a 2.9 and just got back from hauling my kid to gym, easily cruising 75 both ways.

59flatbedford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok well i just went out and looked and it seems like i have probably close to an inch of slack in the throttle cable. i will have to zip tie that as im sure thats not helping the situation any. I still need to figure out what is causing the hiccup at 3000 rpm tho.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, I'm in for base engine wear. My truck (when she chooses to run) does the EXACT same thing you have described with 215/75/15 tires and 3.45 gears. I know that my engine is beat because I know what it's been put through in it's life. Don't really have to do a compression test. My dad used it for F-250 size duty for 12 years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals