• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hosers OVER-torqued my Oil Drain Plug!--> not really, SOLVED!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
SOOOOooo... you're saying my oil drain plug wasn't over-torqued, but instead has rusted itself to the pan from the INside, due to an inch of condensed humidity, aka water in the bottom of the oil pan?... durn... guess I'll find out while everyone's glued to Duh Superbowl... and then Monday I'll have to call Acme Crate Engines...

... also, I'm a bad person!... or a Bad Ranger Owner...
It's all wild conjecture until you get it open and find out the real story. Don't take anything personal here.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
SOOOOooo... you're saying my oil drain plug wasn't over-torqued, but instead has rusted itself to the pan from the INside, due to an inch of condensed humidity, aka water in the bottom of the oil pan?... durn... guess I'll find out while everyone's glued to Duh Superbowl... and then Monday I'll have to call Acme Crate Engines...

... also, I'm a bad person!... or a Bad Ranger Owner...
It probably just in there tight, like I said before, I have to give my own drain plugs a good solid tug to break them loose every time. I much prefer that to having the plug fall out.
Also, it isn't possible to be a bad Ranger owner unless you trade it for a Tacoma.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It probably just in there tight, like I said before, I have to give my own drain plugs a good solid tug to break them loose every time. I much prefer that to having the plug fall out.
Also, it isn't possible to be a bad Ranger owner unless you trade it for a Tacoma.
Or a Colorado.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Or an S10

Or a Ridgeline

Or...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
In effect I swapped a Chevy LUV for one

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ryobi FINALLY has a 18v 1/2" impact now too.. real interested in that.
I got a Ryobi One 18v 1/2" impact a few years ago. Worked good for my project. Stinks like cheap plastic though.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I believe the name of the YouTube channel is AVE.. mabey aVe? I don't remember..

Either way.. the guy disassembles brand new crap like power tools for dissection/inspection/see what the full story is.. and Milwaukee really isn't all its cracked up to be from the videos I've seen. Its been awhile since I've watched his channel but I do remember that they use the same exact battery cells lol.

My personal experience has been less than stellar with Milwaukee stuff too.

We had a job a few years back where we were Installing close to 200' of gutter on a concrete building that had concrete fascia. We needed to pre-drill all the holes for the hanger screws to hang the gutter, 16" on center. We had 2 beat up (basic, non HP) ryobi hammer drills and a freshly unboxed Milwaukee hammer drill....

The ryobis held tough and finished the job after the superior Milwaukee had blown up less than halfway through 🙂 they didn't provide me with a good first impression.

Ryobi did though.. when I dropped one of their guns down 4 stories of staging. Damn thing bounced off literally every bit of staging it could on the way down.. wailed off the half frozen earth and flew into a concrete retaining wall.. vomiting out the battery. Still worked fine, continued to use that gun for another year or two.

Besides my Milwaukee heated jacket (which I'm rather 'meh' about)... I'll be ryobi til I die. I see no reason to buy the gucci boots when sketchers do just fine.
I have absolutely no use for this Ryobi, but I still wanted it.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Follow-up/WRAP-up: Finally (4 weeks ago) took Ye Olde Trusty (Low-Miles) Ranger to my new favoritest tire store, who, as luck would have it, charge only $24.99 for (Conventional) oil+filter change IF you take it in during NON-peak hours (quite a treat in these times of High Xiden Inflation)... had a day off, took it in, they said "yeah, it was a little tight", but no biggie, no stripped threads, AND... weeks later, NO LEAKS! 24-year-old plug+rubber-ring still good... but keeping that new replacement plug in mah toolbox, just in case...

PS: they took upon themselves to put in Valvoline 5W-20, without consulting me, must be the new "book spec"... hmmm... well, I'm only gonna run it for 4,000 mi. before I go back to Valvoline Full Synth, probably 5W-30...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals