• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hit a deer yesterday

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The very best reaction to a deer jumping out in front of you is none at all.

Why do I say that? because I've seen many more vehicles RUINED (pointlessly) because some jackass swerved and hit a tree, utility pole, culvert, bridge abutment or (worst of all) Oncomming traffic.

The rules of collision (aka "The Nine Nevers"):
1) Never let someone else's accident become your own.
2)Never hit something hard when you can hit something soft
3)Never hit something heavy when you can hit something light.
4)Never hit something that won't bend when you can hit something that will
5)Never hit something that won't move when you can hit something that will
6)Never hit something comming towards you when you can hit something stationary
7)Never hit something stationary when you can hit something moving in the same direction.
8)Never hit something squarely when you can hit something glancingly
9)never make a bad stuation worse.

swerving to avoid a deer usually violates somewhere between seven and ALL of these rules.

Frankly in my life I've hit and killed Deer on many seperate occasions
And I've NEVER totaled a vehicle doing so.

though deer impacts have cost me several grilles, a front bumper, several headlamps
and more expensive european fog and driving lights than I like counting

and on one noteable occasion a passenger door (the deer hit ME and in the process of
breaking his silly neck tore the mirror bracket ut of my door)

I joke that I'm stuck one deer short of being a "Triple ace"... I don't count deer where I don't see their body afterwards and I often collect some of the tastier bits
(it's legal to do so here) presuming that they aren't ruined by the impact.

I've also killed several turkeys though fortunatly only one that was airborne at the time
(And once was quite enough thank you!) that stupid bird obliterated 2/3 of my windshield
and left glass fragments IMBEDDED IN the sun glasses I was wearing at the time!

The turkey wasn't edible after the impact... by humans...

My cat LOVED it.

While it took him several weeks to eat it he made the most amusing growl as he
gnawed on the frozen carcass... walking near that frozen bird also generated a growling cat... it was HIS and he wasn't willing to share:)

alyssasdaddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I live in California all i get to target is a Crow or an occasional sparrow. :annoyed:

BlackSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6L
Transmission
Automatic
It doesn't look too bad, most importantly, you weren't injured.

I wouldn't jump to notify the insurance company, not worth having them raise your insurance premiums for such minor damage. You can probably repair much of that quite well by yourself anyway. If nothing else, price some of the parts from a boneyard or online sources.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
www.lmctruck.com can be your friend if a junkyard doesn't have what you need...

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You hit a deer, the good news is that it wasn't a car. Those bastards don't hurt your resale value the way some other idiot in a car/truck does.

I was hit 3 times in 6 months in my last car. I got hit twice in 5 days. I JUST left the body shop with an estimate to get it fixed only to t-bone a bitch who ran a stop sign. First wreck, chick made lane change without looking or using her signal. 2nd, bitch ran stop sign. 3rd, stupid soccer mom tom in his Sienna made lane change without looking.

dp88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
worst thing I ever hit was an owl going 70.... felt like a softball exploded onto my headlight. I thought it was pretty funny afterwards feathers everywhere...silly owl.

Peregrine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.Oh No
Transmission
Manual
Save the rims, I like them... personally, I would get a 4x4, but if you can't find something in your price range, just fix the pickup yourself, no reason to pay someone else to do it, that way you can keep driving it too.
Where did those rims come from? They are what I've been looking for actually.

As for repairing the truck, it really doesn't look like all that bad of damage, and I doubt there would be any frame damage. Fix it, and while you're repairing it, convert it to 4x4 :icon_welder:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks like $100 worth of parts from a junk yard.... fix er up!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hey, (I should joke about these things but a friend has, correction HAD a Saab 9-5 "Aero", only had it about 6 months, just got all his audio stuff in it...
some drunk in a van changed lanes on I-78 and shoved him into a guard rail

Not only was the car a total loss but spectacularly so...

What's worse as after he takes a LOSS on the insurance settlement,
gets half his audio gear and gets another near identical car... Memorial day weekend he hits a BEAR in the middle of the Garden State Parkway...while heading up to Maine to visit family for the holiday weekend...

this time it's atleast repairable...

My truck wears "Nose Armor" for a reason

AD

roadranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I bought the wheels off craigslist. I think these are the ones: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3105712/ I repainted them black because of the rust and I didn't like white.

I'm getting rid of the truck. I don't want to take the time to convert it to 4wd. It needs a new clutch and maybe a new transmission. It whines at 60mph. I figure it's time to move on.

I bought a 87 4x4 ext cab yesterday. The body and interior are in really good condition. The 2.9 V6 is running rich and tapping pretty bad. Hopefully it won't take more than a few hundred to get it running decent.

I'm still waiting on the insurance to decide the fate of my 93. The body shop gave me an estimate of $3,500 to fix the damage. I don't see how the insurance is going to do anything but total the truck.

Peregrine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.Oh No
Transmission
Manual
I bought the wheels off craigslist. I think these are the ones: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3105712/ I repainted them black because of the rust and I didn't like white.

I'm getting rid of the truck. I don't want to take the time to convert it to 4wd. It needs a new clutch and maybe a new transmission. It whines at 60mph. I figure it's time to move on.

I bought a 87 4x4 ext cab yesterday. The body and interior are in really good condition. The 2.9 V6 is running rich and tapping pretty bad. Hopefully it won't take more than a few hundred to get it running decent.

I'm still waiting on the insurance to decide the fate of my 93. The body shop gave me an estimate of $3,500 to fix the damage. I don't see how the insurance is going to do anything but total the truck.
Oh hey... there we go... I was having horrible luck finding those rims... and while you may have only spent 850 buying the truck, it goes on KBB more than your purchase price... but I would suspect they'll 'total' the truck... seems that way anytime I hear about borderline cases in oregon... if they take it to a local yard, find out which and maybe I can drive up that way and get em :icon_rofl: Nice on the 87... I kinda dig the 83-89 styling a bit more, myself.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
at least you did not hit a damn moose.....i have sean some nasty moose car hits in the junk yards around here

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey,

My truck wears "Nose Armor" for a reason.
You mean the Ford Blue Oval right? :yahoo:

"Built Ford Tough" ain't just a marketing slogan. Ford's ARE tough little beasts!

98RedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That'll buff out. When I had an F-150 with a brushguard I actually swerved off the road to hit deer and hogs, is that bad? Lol

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey if you need some help fixin that up hit me up, im in woodburn, u bring the parts and the beer and ill bring the tools and the muscle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals