• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hi from France!

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi everyone,
I'm french and I've a 93' ford ranger 4x2 XLT supercab.
I imported it from California this summer. Now he will have to acclimatize to the wetter Breton weather:cool:
I am in the middle of the administrative process to obtain the papers in order.
I encounter a difficulty regarding the fact that it has 5 seats thanks to the two rear folding seats whereas in France, it only has 3 seats. To your knowledge, is there a document proving this particularity?
I am aware that this is a French specificity but to drive a vehicle, we need a registration document (like the certificate of title) which indicates a lot of information including the number of seats, in the event of an inspection or accident, it is obvious that this weighs in the balance in terms of insurance!

Thank you very much for your help and have a good day/evening
see you soon
Fabi1

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi everyone,
I imported it from California this summer. Now he will have to acclimatize to the wetter Breton weather:cool:
I encounter a difficulty regarding the fact that it has 5 seats thanks to the two rear folding seats whereas in France, it only has 3 seats. To your knowledge, is there a document proving this particularity?
I am aware that this is a French specificity but to drive a vehicle, we need a registration document (like the certificate of title) which indicates a lot of information including the number of seats, in the event of an inspection or accident, it is obvious that this weighs in the balance in terms of insurance!

see you soon
Fabi1
They are not comfortable for anyone above a child, but I have had grown-ups in mine, some were rather large ones, when they had car probs and were going somewhere near me

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you need the rear seats? If not, pull them out.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm kinda curious what document the inspectors are referencing that specs 3 seats in French models. On a quick search, there shouldn't be non-US EDIT: I'm dumb. European "Rangers" before they started calling the actual B-Series that in '98. And even if they're looking at a '93 B-Series/Courier/whatever, those still had rear seats, they just face forward instead of sideways.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone,

see you soon
Fabi1
Ça va

If you look at the sales brochure, you will see that the "jump seats" were an option on the lowest trim/included in the package on higher trims (pg. 17).
They could also be deleted if you didn't want them.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm kinda curious what document the inspectors are referencing that specs 3 seats in French models. On a quick search, there shouldn't be non-US "Rangers" before they started calling the actual B-Series that in '98. And even if they're looking at a '93 B-Series/Courier/whatever, those still had rear seats, they just face forward instead of sideways.
Careful with the non-US :cool: . There have been Cdn Rangers right from the start, and there are a number of pecularities to the Northern models (Daytime running light is the one which comes to mind).

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They're not in the way of anything, and they block the hole going into the side well, and they have been used in emergencies, or one couple at wmart were carrying both hands full of grocery bags and asked for a lift to their hotel.
They were both full size adults and it was a very hot afternoon, He took the front and gave her the back, but she seemed happy as hell the whole trip. It was a holiday weekend and they were going to cook out
If you take them out the model I have becomes nothing more than a two seat cab

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I haven't seen a California title before but the ones here in Massachusetts for my '94 xlt super cab lists the number of seats (occupants) on it. It's a typo on mine saying it is a 6 seater but my point of it being on the title still stands.

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
I'm looking on an old CA title of mine and I don't see that it lists seats. I'd say declare it as whatever is cheaper (MA lets you just declare it however I learned). Either way I assume French traffic police are going to be ignorant of Ranger configurations.

Welcome to the forum. I hope it helps you keep it running abroad. Can you tell us more about the truck? I think I understand how Japanese people feel seeing Americans import their cars now.

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I haven't seen a California title before but the ones here in Massachusetts for my '94 xlt super cab lists the number of seats (occupants) on it. It's a typo on mine saying it is a 6 seater but my point of it being on the title still stands.
Interesting in this sense, I would have preferred.
besides my vin is this 1FTCR14X5PPA61250 and I don't know what the "5" means... does anyone have an idea, otherwise, I tell the French administrative service that this corresponds to the number of seats... and that's it :cool:

Last edited:

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm looking on an old CA title of mine and I don't see that it lists seats. I'd say declare it as whatever is cheaper (MA lets you just declare it however I learned). Either way I assume French traffic police are going to be ignorant of Ranger configurations.

Welcome to the forum. I hope it helps you keep it running abroad. Can you tell us more about the truck? I think I understand how Japanese people feel seeing Americans import their cars now.
I hope to find a way out, either way, it will roll soon...it has already rolled actually, and I appreciate it.
To go into more detail, it is a 4l V6 in 2-wheel drive.
He apparently comes from the Californian desert where he has only done 70,000 miles in 30 years.
Since its arrival in France, I have changed its rear window, the 3rd brake light, the dumpster lighting does not work, however...
I uninstalled the sound system in place with pounds of cables under the carpet, installed a new radio, changed the rear lights, the front indicators, and repolished the front lights.
I noticed that my luggage cover did not retract once unrolled, so I took it apart to clean it and oil its mechanism.
I also changed the exhaust line after the catalyst, because the muffler was rotten and pierced.
Next project, the braking circuit, because there is an imbalance between the front and the rear and a capricious brake pedal. I noticed a leak at the front left and especially saw 9" brake hardware in my 10" drums...after which, I will think about a facelift on the bodywork, because it is more faded than my jeans.
I discovered too late the "wetpaint" in California which I would have loved to have done to it before its transfer to France... has anyone ever done this on a vehicle?

Have a nice day and see you later,

Fabi1

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ça va

If you look at the sales brochure, you will see that the "jump seats" were an option on the lowest trim/included in the package on higher trims (pg. 17).
They could also be deleted if you didn't want them.
The brochure is a very good idea. I found it on your site while looking for solutions to my questions, and that's what motivated me to register on your forum despite the time difference and the language barrier.
Thank you in any case for keeping this forum alive.

To go into more detail, it is a 4l V6 in 2-wheel drive.
He apparently comes from the Californian desert where he has only done 70,000 miles in 30 years.
Since its arrival in France, I have changed its rear window, the 3rd brake light, the dumpster lighting does not work, however...
I uninstalled the sound system in place with pounds of cables under the carpet, installed a new radio, changed the rear lights, the front indicators, and repolished the front lights.
I noticed that my luggage cover did not retract once unrolled, so I took it apart to clean it and oil its mechanism.
I also changed the exhaust line after the catalyst, because the muffler was rotten and pierced.
Next project, the braking circuit, because there is an imbalance between the front and the rear and a capricious brake pedal. I noticed a leak at the front left and especially saw 9" brake hardware in my 10" drums...after which, I will think about a facelift on the bodywork, because it is more faded than my jeans.
I discovered too late the "wetpaint" in California which I would have loved to have done to it before its transfer to France... has anyone ever done this on a vehicle?

Have a nice day and see you later,

Fabi1

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
position 9 in the VIN is a check digit. that is your "5"

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's cool that we're seeing Europeans discover these Rangers. Fabi1, keep us posted on your progress.

The white "cargo lights" beside the third brake light above the rear window should come on when the interior light is on. If the interior light doesn't work, then repairing it might get the cargo lights working.

You will probably need to add a rear fog lamp to meet French/Euro requirements.

The 4.0–liter V-6 (both versions, OHV and later SOHC) was made by Ford Germany, so that should help for engine parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals