• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
8"electric, 2.3, 4.0-OHV, 4.0-OHV
My credo
They say it can't be done, so I did it. Again
I need help.
I have tech questions that may or may not seem normal.
I am going to list the vehicles that I have.
The vehicles I have are;
89 2wd ex-cab 2.9 Ranger A4LD- WAS Daily driver/ Income source Reverse gone 200,000 KM
91 4x4 4dr Explored 4.0 A4LD Bought for the engine and rear end reverse gone 380,000 KM
1992 F150 2wd 300 IL6 5 speed Manual Just bought yesterday as new daily driver/ income source
1977 Pinto Cruising Wagon 2.3 IL4 C3 mostly all original, daily driver backup, is to be restored KM unknown (odo MUST have rolled over)
1977 Pinto Cruising Wagon (WAS 2.8 V6 C4) was recently bought with Engine and trans missing. is to be modified.
1979 F350 Beaver Tail 460 4 speed PTO deck winch on Propane
1990 Volvo 740 GLE Twincam
I also have an extra 4x4 A4LD Cologne Bell housing from 91 Explorer, I bought from a farmer who claimed it was good
Extra 4x4 5 speed manual from 91 Explorer, Cologne Bell housing, same farmer, same story, no clutch or clutch parts
Original intention was to combine the Explored's 4.0 and rear end, with the extra 5-speed into the empty Pinto.
The extra A4LD was going for the Mighty Ranger, but the trans died This Ranger is one of the five best vehickles I have had out of over 120 vehicles. I am NEVER getting rid of it (I said that once before about a car) and now that I have the F150 to take over the Mighty Ranger's income role, it is going to get some real TLC.
Sold the 3.0 SHO engine i had foolishly bought for the Pinto.
Since the Mighty Ranger's trans has died, IO am faced with a dilemma.
At this point I am upgrading the Mighty Ranger with the 5-speed manual. I suppose I should take the Explorer rear end and put it into the Ranger in place of the 7.5. Then take the 7.5 and place it into the Pinto.
Except for the F150 all of these Fords have close or VERY close rear end widths.I will have to put skinnier tires on the rear of the Ranger (265-75-16) due tom the wider flanged Explorer rear end.
The explorer's 4.0 appears to have 380,000 KMs on it (236,000 miles), but seems to run fairly well, should get another summer out of it I think, so I may still put it into the Pinto. Then take the dead A4LD from the Ranger, and the "good" A4LD from the farmer and put the Ranger's tailshaft and housing into the "good" unit then place it behind the 4.0 in the Pinto, and the 8 inch that comes out of the Pinto goes into the 4cyl Pinto and put the 6.75 rear in storage along with the mostly original interior. What I need to know is about the A4LD bell housing. Does it fit the C3? What about the C4? or C5? Then I could place the original 2.3 and C3 into storage also, and replace them with a Turbo Coupe driveline that I have found for $500 with electronics. IO ALMOST got a '95 Continental today with a good RUNNING 4 cam 4.6. For $200 ! It was on it's way to the scrap yard, I assume it had a dead trans, I didn't see any body damage. What should I do with the transmission for the Pinto, after I disassemble it for the tail shaft? rebuild it, or just a shift kit, or what. BTW, I am not very rich lately. Can a person MAKE any of the kit's parts, other than fl;at gaskets? Are there instructional videos available? Where does the Trans mounting bracket sit compared to the Pinto's C4? I have about a thousand questions, but help with these would be a great start. Anything I need pretty much has to come from private sellers, because I just don't have much cash recently. Everything has gone to buying vehicles for parts and income, I drive for a living picking up mostly industrial equipment. Sometimes small stuff, up to very VERY large items sometimes requiring a crane truck.

I can't seem to grasp even the basics of how to navigate forums.
I am pretty sure I posted a thread recently about my situation. At least I TRIED to.
So, I hope I remember to "copy" the text before I try to send it and it tells me I can't because I am not signed in, even though it had already said that I was.
BUT,

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS~! Although I'm not sure if you can hear me if you are braindead...The EEG seems to have flatlined but there is life in your hands from somewhere...maybe the Pinto has been Artificially Intelligenced and has taken over your body to get back on the road.

You have six posts...as per your count...and you can find them easy enough by putting your mouse over your user name on the left side and then clicking the right mouse button...unless you have a Macintosh...in which case you hook up the brain scanner so you can control the computer with your mind...(just kidding...that comes later)...

I really have very little to input on your questions and concerns because some of it is above my pay grade and some of it is a matter of personal choice and need. I'm sure you could make up your cash shortage by simply selling the parts and vehicles that you don't need...so your long range cash flow is probably a bit better...

As for what you need or want...some of your stuff could be worth much more than you paid for it...especially if it's all BC original because of the lack of road salt...unless things have changed recently...

So, the big question would be...what do you want? A couple of play toys/collectors items...obviously these are worth more in stock configuration so modifying anything comes into question...a daily driver that looks and performs good...or just a daily driver to get you to and from work?

If you have enough space to hold all these vehicles I'd assume you are living in a rural area or farm country...so storage is not an issue...people stealing your stuff could be...hence the storage referral...just buy yourself one or two of those cargo containers and build yourself a theif proof location equipped with flame throwers and semi-automatic machine guns...you won't need the fully automatic unless we enter into a Mad Max environment any time soon...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I can't seem to grasp even the basics of how to navigate forums.
I am pretty sure I posted a thread recently about my situation. At least I TRIED to.
In one of the "bars" at the top of any Forums page is the SEARCH link, click on the "down arrow" next to it.
Then select MY POSTS
you will then see all the posts you have made

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
My credo
Thanks for the information about the posts. I just noticed my last post was a little bit rambling on.
I need to know if the transfer case from the A4LD will work on the 5 speed I bought from a 91 Explorer, I am assuming that I can USE the transfer case in a 2wd Ranger.
What drive shaft do I use? Am I stuck with a two-piece, or was a one piece used in any Rangers?
Does the tail shaft from the dead A4LD from my 2WD Ranger has to be removed from the the inside of the case to use the 2wd tail shaft housing in my Pinto?
Is the trans mount the same distance from the engine block as a C3 or C4 (I am thinking probably not).
Is the mount the same shape, will the original C3 mount bolt holes line up with the A4LD, assuming the mount is moved to be in the correct
position. IF I do have to move the mount back in the frame.
Will the stock drive shaft from the Pinto fit into the A4LD? I realize it might have to be altered for length
Thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Go here and Bookmark this page: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Most automatics have either a 2wd main shaft or 4wd main shaft, they are different lengths, and while the rear housing is removable the main shaft is not, unless trans is rebuilt.
I think some of the A4LDs from BIIs could be used as 2wd(fake transfer case) or 4wd

A transfer case is a separate component so can be used on an automatic or manual trans if trans has the correct tail shaft and housing for a transfer case
Manual transmissions usually have a separate rear tail shaft and housing so a 2wd trans can be changed to 4wd by changing rear tail shaft and housing.

My guess would be the driveshaft splines won't match up, but that is just a guess

Last edited:

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
My credo
BTW, I am in Canada, so the whole semi-automatic security thing is not allowed in the building permit bylaws, even though in the 1960's-70's the family businesses included a sporting goods import section in which we even had our own brand of guns (rebadged SAKO). Would pre-made plans like this allow for the substitution of a shotgun, modified or a harpoon gun? These are somewhat legal here (not certain about the harpoon gun anymore, times are changing). Maybe a Brad Nailer is the answer . . . on a offset spinning platform for wide, even dispersion.
I thought this was a RANGER forum.

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You're going to run into problems on the engine end of the transmissions, as the bellhousings and unput shaft lengths would have differed slightly by engine.

semi-automatic machine guns...
You use this word... I do not think it means what you think it means. The closest thing to a "semi-automatic machine gun" would be something with a burst-fire mode, but burst fire is still fully automatic, as it fires multiple bullets from a single trigger pull.

'Murricuh. :icon_thumby:

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
My credo
My bad. Never really got into the whole gun thing, I was too young at the time we were in that business. But thanks to a loophole back then I was able to get my hunting and gun licenses without any proficiency test. From wht I understand, I was one of the last to get through that flaw in the law. When you're 12 these things are not that important. I was already a flat out car nut by then.
BTW, we were importing Rossi .22 rifles that if you filed something down a certain amount, it would go fully automatic. Does that sound right?

So, what is the deal with output shaft lengths? Am I going to have real problems mixing and swapping stuff?
91 4.0 Explorer engine is going to the Pinto, with either the 89 Ranger's A4LD after it is rebuilt, or a C4 (will a C5 work?) from somewhere on Craigslist. I am looking at a sohc 4.0 ($250)for the Ranger to go with the 5 speed (also from a 91 Explorer)
The rear end from the 91 Explorer is going to the Ranger, and the 7.5 Ranger diff is going to the Pinto.
I think (hope) this has success written all over it. What am I not seeing that will go wrong?
Additionally, I found a 4.0 sohc that the seller says has a "bent valve"($100). what are the chances that is the problem, what other problems are associated with this problem in that engine, and what can be done to repair it?
What are the physical differences between a C4 and C5? I like having a lockup converter when i am burdened with an automatic. Will the C5 converter work in a C4? Will Ford ever make a reliable OD automatic for RWD? How long do tires last on a Zamboni? Why can't they make a transmission that can be towed without damaging it? What did they call road runners (the bird, not the car) before there were roads? What happens to all the rubber from the tires that wear out, there should be banks of rubber on the side of every highway!
(actually I know the answer to the last one, bacteria eats the rubber)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals