• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help! Wrong clutch? Urgent!

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
I was trying to install a new clutch in my '86 Ranger and I found that the splined hole in the clutch disk ia too small to fit the transmission shaft! I bought the clutch kit for my year truck wao I don't know why it doesn't work. My truck is 4wd and has the FM145 transmission. The first clutch kit I bought I returned because the pressure plate looked different than what I took out of my truck but all the auto parts stores in my area say that there's no difference in the kits. Could someone post a link to the correct kit? My truck has the 2.9L V6

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure it is an FM145

Pictures here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.shtml

Not unusual for an older vehicle to have newer parts

M5OD-R1 is a better trans than the FM series so it may have been upgraded

For 1986 Ranger 2.9l I get the LUK model 07-048, I am partial to the LUK brand, lol.
Same model number for 2.3l as well

Last edited:

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
That's the kit I have lol, I think there must be a bur or something on the transmission shaft. I found a tint chip on the start of one of the splines and what ever did that must have also made a bump. I tried filing it down but it wore the teeth of my file. I'll try using a small grinding wheel to clean up the start of that spline. If I hit the clutch disk a few times with my hand i can get it over the bump but when everything's assembled and I'm trying to push the transmission on I can't put enough force on it.

Side question, about how much travel does the clutch release cylinder need to disengage the clutch. My transmission adapter gives it about 3/4" which better be enough.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals