• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with the crooks at the assessors office

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but nothing else really matched. I have a 1997 Ranger XLT 2WD 5-speed, 169K miles. The truck is pretty much bare bones no A/C, has a AM/FM radio, bench seat. It has a Rebuilt, (salvage), title. I paid $700.00 for it, it needed some basic parts, I just put a timing belt on it and replaced the tires. The town originally assessed it at $3,828.00, after my appeal they lowered it to $2,657.00. This still seems way high to me, the money isn't that bad but to me its the point. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've printed the few around me for sale from CL and feebay and they are all lower than the 2nd price from the town. I plan to re-appeal, but would like to have all the ammunition possible. Thanks.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i put your info in kelly blue book but used my zip code and in Excellent condition it would only be worth $1,735...fair is only $1100.
i'd go to kbb.com and put in your zip code and fill in the rest then print that out and take it with you for good measure..

my $.02 woeth ..good luck,,grey ghost

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What the heck does it matter what your truck is worth to the town you live in?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The more the truck is worth (or what they think it's worth) the more they're gonna charge him on taxes every year.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
um, your county is corrupt. What taxes could they charge ya? There is no property tax on a vehicle (at least in Indiana)

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well besides sales tax which in mass gets calculated on either what you paid for the vehicle or what the vehicle is worth, whichever is HIGHER. Mass also has this wonderful thing called excise tax which charges you $25 a year on every $1000 that the vehicle is worth, thankfully my truck is valued at like 800 bucks so they practically pay me for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if CT has something similar to that. But definitly run the info through kelly blue book and NADA and print out what you come up with and bring that.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
yeah we got something similar in MI. I paid $4000 for Teffie's minivan and it now has 156,000 miles on it and is worth about $2000 but it sold for $35,000 new so I pay $125 a year for registration. My LandCruiser sold for around $9000 new and is worth about $4000 and it costs $49 a year to register .............. I miss washington ........ $35 a year for most vehicles.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Indiana has an Excise Tax on motor vehicles--it is a replacement for the vehicle personal property tax, which is still collected on any high dollar item you own. All of the money goes to the county government, minus the BMVs collection fee since they do the work. Over half of it goes to the school district.

The excise tax is pretty grim on a new car and it goes down as the car ages. My old junk is pretty cheap to own but the tax on my wife's 3 year old Pilot still biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm...corrupt greedy government... for once, I can't bitch about New York!

My truck costs me $48 to register for 2 years, plus $42 for inspection (that's two years worth, each one costs $21) I think I paid $200 in sales tax on it.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual

exigent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
He lives in liberal land... tax tax tax tax tax.

If you too would like to experience this, vote democrat.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
He lives in liberal land... tax tax tax tax tax.

If you too would like to experience this, vote democrat.

welcome to TRS ......... we will get along just fine

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm...corrupt greedy government... for once, I can't bitch about New York!
I don't know. I mean I think Indiana was squezing people too hard on property tax and it was causing people to loose their homes. Especially in areas like mine where an old home in the woods (mine) is suddenly surrounded in the opposing hills by 4,000sq-ft $400,000 homes. When reassesment times comes around your termite hostel is now prime real estate and your property tax shoots up. Then you are served with a $2,000 tax due on your $15,000 annual income--$18,000 being the median in my county. So the sheriff auctions your house of, a bulldozer levels it and another $400,000 house pops out of the earth. So propery tax relief became a big deal. I said half of the county budget is the school system. I'm for that--the school system needs even more money. You want your kids to be able to compete with the larger, better high schools when college time comes around. Life is about competition. Our county has no cities--town of 500 is the only place in the county with a traffic light and it has one. We have old road equipment, old sherrif's cars, old everything. The roads are bad, the power is always going out, the water is always breaking. Bridges fall and they close the road. There is no landfill, no waste collection, no hospitals--this is probably the poorest county in Indiana. I mean, the county can't make money with a machine. They have to tax you. Better they tax people with nice cars and leave the homes alone. It's a good indicator of who has the money because land property is too sketchy of an area to tax hard when reach people and poor people live within sight of one another.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
New Jersey is starting to act like that, where when u goto register a new vehicle you ahve purchased albeit used or whatnot. Ive purchase several cars as fixer uppers in the past and had them not want me to pay taxes on what i actually paid for it, but pay taxes on the "value" of the vehicle, i found a very simple way to get around the money grubbing state, all you need todo is find a public notary and get a bill of sale notarized and multiple copies done, that way u can provide the goverment with a notarized bill of sale. that is the only way i have ever been able to get around there bullshit, i have no problems at all payin taxes on the actual amount i pay, but ill be damned if im gonna pay taxes on 5,000 for a car i bought for 500 cause it needed a engine....

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
yeah we got something similar in MI. I paid $4000 for Teffie's minivan and it now has 156,000 miles on it and is worth about $2000 but it sold for $35,000 new so I pay $125 a year for registration. My LandCruiser sold for around $9000 new and is worth about $4000 and it costs $49 a year to register .............. I miss washington ........ $35 a year for most vehicles.
you got out of washington in time, that no longer applies, they're screwing the public like everyone else, 8% sales tax on newly purchased vehicles. it costs me @48bucks for my 78 camaro and @68bucks to licence the truck in my signature

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals