• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with amplifier install

RANGermanGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I know this amplifier is way overkill for my situation but it’s what I’ve got. My question is, will I need to upgrade my alternator/battery if I’m only drawing about 400 watts to two front speakers (200 to each one) from that amplifier? My alternator can handle 95 amps. I am wondering if powering the amplifier only using about 400 watts will draw more power than my electrical system can handle. -Thanks

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
It will be fine in my opinion but if you do notice that the headlights dim when the bass hits it is rectified by using a capacitor. I run a 1000w amp pushing a max of 450w to a single sub and never noticed an issue with my 95A alternator. I did eventually install a capacitor to help save the alternator as I like feeling the base from that 1200W 12" sub.

A capacitor stores a bit of juice so when the amp requires a quick jolt of power it comes from the cap and not directly from the alternator. I run a half ferret cap and it is more than enough for my system. I think I paid around $100 for the cap.

I found that my fire wall had a few rubber plugs in it that I just cut an X in it and fed the wire through and under the driver side rug to behind the seat. Mine being a supercab I ran the wire out from under the back seat plastics for the amp. The RCA jacks I ran under the passenger floor to the rear than over to the amp to help keep the electromagnetic field from interfering with the audio signal.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have a 95amp alternator that means the Vehicle draws about 40amps with everything on, i.e. engine, fan blower on High, headlights

95amp alternator only produces 95amps when engine RPMs are above 1,800
It produces about 60% of that under 1,000rpms, i.e. at idle
So about 55-60amps at idle
That only gives you about 15amp to spare at idle, unless you shut off blower and headlights, which is not very practical

Audio watts are not the same as electrical watts, but close enough
And audio watt rating is at full volume
40watts in a car will hurt your ears
400watts is actually only twice as loud as 40watts, just FYI
So I doubt you will be running the system anywhere close to 200watts
200watts at 13.5volts is about 15amps
So you should be OK

But you may want to get a 130 or 150amp alternator at some point
People like to brag on the wattage they have, but that's how they sell high watt amps

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
To know what the amp puts out at realistic listening levels look for the RMS rating for the amp. Example my 1000W amp is rated for 400w RMS unless bridged and at a 2 ohm rating. My 1200W speaker is rated for 550W RMS. My door and rear speakers are a 380W max speaker but the RMS is 80w running off of a 52W per channel head unit that puts out 25w RMS and is deafening in the cab. These are the practical numbers to look at and what you want to match as close as possible.

The max listing for speakers and amps is a 1 shot quick hit of power that is not sustained. If I hooked my amp to my door speakers I'd pop them the first or second time the bass hit at a normal listening level even though they are a 380W speaker for the reasons listed above.

Root mean square

Root mean square or simply RMS watts refers to continuous power handling of a speaker or a subwoofer or how much continuous power an amplifier can output.

As RonD mentioned about 400w being only twice as loud as 40w, decibels are not linear. This means something that is 20db is not half as loud as 40db or even 60db. It has to do with perceived volume levels. I have read a few writeups about it and still don't have a great grasp on it. It is a brain twister wrapped up in in an enigma.

Last edited:

RANGermanGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
To know what the amp puts out at realistic listening levels look for the RMS rating for the amp. Example my 1000W amp is rated for 400w RMS unless bridged and at a 2 ohm rating. My 1200W speaker is rated for 550W RMS. My door and rear speakers are a 380W max speaker but the RMS is 80w running off of a 52W per channel head unit that puts out 25w RMS and is deafening in the cab. These are the practical numbers to look at and what you want to match as close as possible.

The max listing for speakers and amps is a 1 shot quick hit of power that is not sustained. If I hooked my amp to my door speakers I'd pop them the first or second time the bass hit at a normal listening level even though they are a 380W speaker for the reasons listed above.

Root mean square

Root mean square or simply RMS watts refers to continuous power handling of a speaker or a subwoofer or how much continuous power an amplifier can output.

As RonD mentioned about 400w being only twice as loud as 40w, decibels are not linear. This means something that is 20db is not half as loud as 40db or even 60db. It has to do with perceived volume levels. I have read a few writeups about it and still don't have a great grasp on it. It is a brain twister wrapped up in in an enigma.
Hey thanks for your help, I am having a better understanding now. I’m pretty new to car audio so it’s nice to have people who know their stuff. Maybe you could answer this question- My head unit is also pretty much putting out the same numbers as yours is but sometimes I feel even when turned all the way up I’m missing out of some sound (even tho it is fairly loud) I feel I can get more out of the speakers. Will using an amp even benefit my two speakers in anyway?

RANGermanGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It will be fine in my opinion but if you do notice that the headlights dim when the bass hits it is rectified by using a capacitor. I run a 1000w amp pushing a max of 450w to a single sub and never noticed an issue with my 95A alternator. I did eventually install a capacitor to help save the alternator as I like feeling the base from that 1200W 12" sub.

A capacitor stores a bit of juice so when the amp requires a quick jolt of power it comes from the cap and not directly from the alternator. I run a half ferret cap and it is more than enough for my system. I think I paid around $100 for the cap.

I found that my fire wall had a few rubber plugs in it that I just cut an X in it and fed the wire through and under the driver side rug to behind the seat. Mine being a supercab I ran the wire out from under the back seat plastics for the amp. The RCA jacks I ran under the passenger floor to the rear than over to the amp to help keep the electromagnetic field from interfering with the audio signal.
Awesome! I will probably install without the capacitor but at some point I think I’ll upgrade my alternator so I can possibly install a sub as well. Thanks for the help and knowledge!

RANGermanGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a 95amp alternator that means the Vehicle draws about 40amps with everything on, i.e. engine, fan blower on High, headlights

95amp alternator only produces 95amps when engine RPMs are above 1,800
It produces about 60% of that under 1,000rpms, i.e. at idle
So about 55-60amps at idle
That only gives you about 15amp to spare at idle, unless you shut off blower and headlights, which is not very practical

Audio watts are not the same as electrical watts, but close enough
And audio watt rating is at full volume
40watts in a car will hurt your ears
400watts is actually only twice as loud as 40watts, just FYI
So I doubt you will be running the system anywhere close to 200watts
200watts at 13.5volts is about 15amps
So you should be OK

But you may want to get a 130 or 150amp alternator at some point
People like to brag on the wattage they have, but that's how they sell high watt amps
Appreciate your input! I was eventually planning on throwing a sub in there and before I do that I’ll make sure to get a different alternator. For now I don’t think I’d harm anything sticking with my current one, I’m just trying to juice up two little speakers haha. I’ll give it a try and I’ll see if I notice and flickering and I’ll go from that - thanks!

RANGermanGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey thanks for your help, I am having a better understanding now. I’m pretty new to car audio so it’s nice to have people who know their stuff. Maybe you could answer this question- My head unit is also pretty much putting out the same numbers as yours is but sometimes I feel even when turned all the way up I’m missing out of some sound (even tho it is fairly loud) I feel I can get more out of the speakers. Will using an amp even benefit my two speakers in anyway?

Attachments

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
To get missing or reduce over powered tones you would want to install a 7 channel or more equalizer this way you can cut down the over powered tones or raise the missing tones. Most head units only come with a 3 tone equalizer, high, mid and low which miss many of the missing tones at higher volumes.

When you turn the volume up to over 75% it adds in distortion in to the mix and exaggerates missing tones.

If you are running factory speakers then the amp will not help but will surly kill them at some point. What speakers are you running and there RMS? What is the RMS on the amp?
Adding an amp does not boost missing tones but boosts the wattage that it receives from the head unit. This is where the equalizer comes in that is installed between the head unit and the amp.

Last edited:

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't be hooking that amp to any small speakers. If you do, turn the gain way down & the bass boost off, or you'll blow the speakers. What kind of amp is that? It appears to be 3000 watts rms, not 400.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals