• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help with alternator convertion

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so in the quest for more power i am converting my internal regulated alternator(87 b2)to a external regulated alternator. so i went down to the junk yard and grabbed a alternator and the voltage regulator and on the voltage regulator there is four wires or/lt bl, wht/blk, yel, and lt gn/red. and after doing some digging have found the or/lt bl is the field control and goes to the orange plug on the alternator, yellow goes to the battery pos, and the wht/blk is the stator control that goes to the black plug on the alternator but cant figure out where the lt gn/red goes. has any one else done this or can some one point me in the right direction?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
lt grn/red goes to key on from the regulator
blk/orange alternator to battery with fuseable link
orange/lt blu (field) alt regulator
yellow/ white regulator battery (radio capacitor)on reg side
wht/blk alternator regulator (stator) not used on mine but might be needed for computer
I would guess you use the charging system test procedures in the tech library for the external regulator for proper operation

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't understand your premis, which is "In the quest for more power I am converting my internally regulated alternator to an externally regulated alternator."

I have no idea about what you are doing or where you got the idea for it--or what the vehicle is you are taking these parts from.

Read this:http://www.boatelectric.com/www.boatelectric_files/2009-BalmarProducts.pdf

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im doing this because the output terminals on the third gen(i think thats what its called) restrict the output amperage to less then 80amps due to the spade style connector, the guys at excessive amperage(http://www.excessiveamperage.com/) have a 250amp alternator but i need to convert my truck to the earlier second gen setup, so i pulled the alt and regulator from a '83 ranger to set everything up before the alternator gets here.

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if im not planning on connecting the charge lamp indicator with the older regulator do i istill have to install the 500ohm resistor along the ignition wire or can i run it with out?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Wow 250 amp thats alot of power I dont know but I would think you dont want too many volts going into the ignition coil I dont think mine has a resistor in it but with older ignitions with the aftermarket round coils you need a resistor to the coil from the ignition to drop the voltage in or you will burn up coils not sure how amps affect the ignition. Are you doing this for a winch I would guess not as long as you are not pulling that power thru the ignition system the engine will use only the power it needs hook the battery direct to the alternator and your switching separate from the engine systems. I can`t remember the formula is it volts X amps = watts as long as the volts are in the normal operating range you should be ok use a high voltage relay if your switching with the ignition that is why the headlights were always separate from the ignition on older vehicles and are on relays on newer and taking the idiot light out will disable that circuit and run a wire from the coil power red/lt grn (ignition on) to the lt grn/red on the regulator

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry i should have been more clear, i was tired when i wrote my last post. im talking about the resistor that goes inline with the charge lamp indicator on the ignition wire on the voltage regulator. and yes 250 amps is a lot but with all the lights and the stereo every amp gets eaten quick

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It should go fast with 250 amp alt.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
that's just excessive. But you should be able to kick in the after burners and super boost from you flux capacitor and gain like 1500 hp.

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey adsm do you have anything constructive to add to this conversation?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I dont see a resistor on any of my schematics just a bulb between the lt grn/red from the regulator and the red/lt green on the ignition for a light and with a meter the lt grn/red from the regulator ties direct to th red/lt grn on the ignition. That is for a 87 2.3-2.9 ranger or B-II

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my ford shop manual shows a 500 ohm resistor parallel to the charge lamp, but my chilton dosent, i dont know what do about it.

i thought the 3g was as larger caseand i didnt want the problem with swaping mounts, that why i went with the 1g alt.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
maybe it it has something to do with the bulb itself did you look at the earlier schematics for a external regulator one with a amp meter and are you gonna add a ampmeter either way you could probably just leave the light as it is it couldn`t hurt anything. I just wonder how the idiot light works there must be a diode or switch in the regulator so when the voltage is being pulled from the battery it allows a ground to the light and when it is pushing volts into it it turns the ground off I dunno.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals