• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help diagnosing engine trouble.

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is it difficult to change? i would ratehr not pay a mechanic to do it if I could myself.
i believe that u need a 5.5mm socket to get thet module out,the modules usually do just crap out but it sounds like it runs fine till it gets to warm so if you got the money change it. besides if it is original its quite old anyways and done its job.
and just because the oil pressure switch works very well doesnt mean there might not be blockage prevent oil from getting through certain pathways.
the dealerships do offer a hot oil engine flush to clean out the engine though

fuel injectors make a noise muck like a valve ticking too
use a long bar and gently put one end to the part u suspect and the other to ur ear then ull find the noise for sure
good luck let us know how it turns out

Last edited:

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Would cleaning the injectors help? Would Sea Foam do the trick?

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Would cleaning the injectors help? Would Sea Foam do the trick?
it wouldnt hurt i mean when was the last time any cleaner was put in.
but if u r trying to cure the injector its fifty fifty just think twenty years of plastic exposed tro the combustion chamber they just get worn and noisy over time

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have no idea....The engine I bought to put in it is out of a 1986 I believe...Probably never been cleaned...

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have no idea....The engine I bought to put in it is out of a 1986 I believe...Probably never been cleaned...
In all honesty sweet if your gonna do work on your own vehicle u should go out and get a mini scanner they are like forty dollars avg and will save u many headaches cause even though the check engine light doesnt come on there might still be codes logged into the ecu. and they might lead u to the problem.the codes can be found in the instruction manual or in the tech librairy. it sounds like once the truck reaches a certain temp it starts to act funny is it during short or long drives the 02 sensor doesnt take over engine control till the engine reaches temp, just another thought

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
an aftermarket code scanner on an EEC-IV vehicle is a total waste of money. you can pull codes and do basic self tests with a paper clip and only a real STAR tester will do datalogging.

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
an aftermarket code scanner on an EEC-IV vehicle is a total waste of money. you can pull codes and do basic self tests with a paper clip and only a real STAR tester will do datalogging.
yes but as our young friend has said he is still learning so for him starting out a paper clip will be areal pain in his backside.And iwas refering to the aftermarket scanner pulling the soft codes it isnt very often you actually have need to check for the hard codes which of course needs the dealers drb

we could always show up at his house and show how to diagnose properly but its a little to far lol:icon_rofl::icon_cheers:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
there arent that many aftermarket scanners that will "talk" to a ford EEC-IV computer....its not like an OBDII scanner.

"hard" and "soft" codes? you mean continuous memory and self test codes? both can be pulled with a paper clip. there are no codes that you cant retrieve with a paper clip. aftermarket scanners are absolutely unnecissary for an EEC-IV vehicle.

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
It has only happened on long drives...if I drive it around town, it funs great...if I get on the interstate to go to work, that is whenit acts up....

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
could the rattling your hearing possibly be spark knock? that could indicate your timing is jumping forward for some reason (a dizzy or TFI issue).

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The ticking is constant while the problem is going on....it doesn't increase or decrease with acceleration or deceleration......

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
those symptoms sure do sound consistant with a drop in oil pressure, like others have suggested. it might be worth your time to varify the oil pressure with an aftermarket gauge just to be sure.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
The only hard thing about an aftermarket oil pressure gauge install? Is where they put the sending unit you'll have to remove and replace with the fitting for the oil pressure gauge "Tube". If you have a set of car ramps? It's probably not to bad. The sending unit on the 2.9's is located just about under the power steering pump. The engine probably has a 2" long (or there abouts) extension on the engine port that has the sending unit screwed into it.

What we did with ours? Was to hit Napa for some plumbing hardware, and we made a "T" coming off the port. One end of the "T" goes to a new sending unit (pretty cheap to replace) The other end goes to the adapter/tube for the physical replacement gauge, and the other end screws into the port itself.

Nickles worth of free advice when installing the tube: KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE EXHAUST AND ANY/ALL MOVING PARTS! :) If the tube melts or tears? Yer gonna have such a mess.....

S-

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advice...What would be the problem if it is showing low oil pressure, the oil pump or a bad engine?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals