• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help a Tire Newbie Please!!!

Machine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK...I don't know anything really about tires....I read a bunch of threads and was totally lost. I have a hopefully simple question. I have a 2000 Ranger Stepside (Flairside) 4x4. Right now I am running 245/75/r16. I am in need of 4 tires bad and yesterday had a blow out. Someone I know offered me a set (with rims) of 265/70/r15 that came off a 1997 Ranger 4x4. Can anyone tell me...will these fit. Will I have any problems? Rub? Handling? Bad gas mileage? Anything? Thanks.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they will fit fine they are a little taller shouldn't hurt your gas mileage

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You list your tires as a 16" rim, but the replacements are 15". Do you have rims for the new ones too?

Old ones diameter is 30.5
New ones diameter is 29.6

So as long as you have rims to fit the other tires you've got room vertically but you may get a little rub on tight turning...

Tire size converter:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire_size_conversion.htm

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^^ can you read it says they come with rims

Machine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks all. Is there any difference between the 70 and 75? I mean I know there is a difference, but will it be an issue? What is this difference?

Last edited:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a little not much 75 is taller

Machine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Man that was fast! Thanks for the info. I appreciate. For the price, I guess I can't go wrong. I wish I was going bigger though.....lol. Oh well. Beggars can't be choosers!

sccaSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Transmission
Automatic
Right now I am running 245/75/r16. I am in need of 4 tires bad and yesterday had a blow out. Someone I know offered me a set (with rims) of 265/70/r15 that came off a 1997 Ranger 4x4. Can anyone tell me...will these fit. Will I have any problems? Rub? Handling? Bad gas mileage? Anything? Thanks.
Thanks all. Is there any difference between the 70 and 75? I mean I know there is a difference, but will it be an issue? What is this difference?
I'll try to make this not seem difficult. First, the tire sizes. The first number is the overall width (not the width of the tread). The last number is the rim/wheel size (we'll get to that in a minute). The middle number is called the aspect ratio. In simple terms, it's the percentage of sidewall compared to the overall width (the first number). So, on the original tires, the sidewall's height is ~75% of the width of the tire. There is a very complex equation that you can calculate the overall height of the tire. Most manufacturers list that themselves because the equation is college-grade math. :icon_confused: Now, about the wheels; since you would be going to a smaller wheel, you should see if the person who is trying to sell you this stuff would allow you to test fit one first. I know it's a lot of work, but it will be a real downer to buy them & find out that they hit the brake calipers. I would think that they should fit except that your suspension & brake parts were first introduced in 1998 models (coil spring/A-arm). The 1997 was still using the old I-beam front suspension. Those used smaller brake parts, so 15" wheels worked fine for them.

I say they will work, but like the old saying goes: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

partsguy84823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, metric tires 101...

The "75" is the aspect ratio of the tire. For example, the width of a 245/75R16 tire is approx. 245mm, the sidewall height (from wheel to tread) is 75% of 245mm. 245*.75= 185.75mm. So the sidewall of your tire is 185.75mm tall. Moving on. 185.75mm comes out to about 7.313in. So you have the sidewall from the ground to the wheel, the wheel, and the sidewall from the wheel to the top of the tire. (7.313+16+7.313)=30.626inches.

So your old tires are about 30.626 inches tall...

The new ones would go like this...
265*.70=185.5 //sidewall height
185.5mm = 7.303in //convert mm to inch
(7.303*2)+15 = 29.6inch //sidewall + rim = new tire height.

They will fit just fine. Good luck...

partsguy84823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OOPS, someone typed faster than me. Anyway, now you have the eqution... i don't consider it college level math. But then again, my major is Computer Engineering, so math is my friend. The 15" rims will fit just fine. Some of the 98+ Rangers came with 15" rims... I promise, you'll be fine...

Machine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wow. That is some schooling! Thank you guys for the info. I checked it out and I will be able to test fit one just to make sure before I actually get them. So that will seal the deal if all goes well.

partsguy84823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow. That is some schooling! Thank you guys for the info. I checked it out and I will be able to test fit one just to make sure before I actually get them. So that will seal the deal if all goes well.
No problem buddy...

warning more math

By the way, its not a huge deal, but the new tires will be about 2.8% smaller than your old ones. This means that the will cover 2.8% less ground per rotation. Why does this matter, because your trucks speedometer and odometer work off of counting revolutions of the tires. So if for one revolution your truck thinks it has traveled 'x' feet, and because the tires are smaller it actually traveled (x-.028(x)). Then your speedometer will read 2.8% slower than your actual speed. So when your speedometer says 60mph, you are actually moving 58.3mph, and when your odometer says you went 100 miles, you actually went 97.2 miles.

The error gets larger the faster you are going...

end math

Its not enough difference to worry about, but I thought I would make you aware.

partsguy84823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By the way Machine... I just looked at your "heres my truck" thread. That interior is CLEAN!!! Nice looking truck...

sccaSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Transmission
Automatic
OOPS, someone typed faster than me. Anyway, now you have the eqution... i don't consider it college level math. But then again, my major is Computer Engineering, so math is my friend. The 15" rims will fit just fine. Some of the 98+ Rangers came with 15" rims... I promise, you'll be fine...
The equation I saw was much more technical & used these symbols: +, /, *, -, %, :icon_confused:, :dunno:, & :mad:. :haha:

Machine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
By the way Machine... I just looked at your "heres my truck" thread. That interior is CLEAN!!! Nice looking truck...

Thanks. I love the truck...unfortunately living in New England it is VERY rusted up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals