• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hedman headers? imput?

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey, so im looking to put a pair of headers on my 2003 ford ranger, and im wondering if anyone has worked with hedman headers before, they are like 325$ from napa around here, so im looking to snag a pair.

also wondering about the EGR valve, truck is in vermont, and i think the EGR valve on the stock manifold is plugged off but im not sure if that is the hole for the EGR or not.. do i need to get headers with EGR? or is that a california emmisions thing (i just heard cali was strict with emmisions)

thanks for all the help

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you feel the need to get the cheap pacesetters, I've read a few stories from 4.0L guys that have had installation issues.

I have pacesetters on my 2.9L. They didn't fit correctly. I had to modify them to avoid hitting the frame and the end of my passenger side radius arm.

The passenger side header also was up right against my oil filter turn down.

After I resolved the frame hitting issue, the collector was pretty much right up on my transmission pan.

I found a happy medium and used header wrap as a temporary 'fix' for the turn down and transmission pan. 7 hours later, I was just tired of dealing with it.

Pete

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im more wondering what you guys think of hedman hedders..i might go with a different brand, not sure..just want to know some good information on hedman

thanks

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would be curious of how these worked in conjunction with the legally mandated emission controls on NYS vehicles (and others).

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
mhm? im thinking about just going with the JBA headers now, but dont know if i need the EGR valve. i look down in my engine bay, and my stock exhaust manifold seems to have an EGR valve on the passenger side, but it is plugged (nothing coming from it)..soo im wondering if i can just get the JBA/hedman/hooker/whatever headers without the EGR valve, or is that against smog emissions? or against something? im in vermont if that matters

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
for installation wise for like a JBA header on the 4.0, will i have to lift the engine any to put them in? or do i just have to dig up there and bolt them on..?

thanks

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
for installation wise for like a JBA header on the 4.0, will i have to lift the engine any to put them in? or do i just have to dig up there and bolt them on..?

thanks
Not sure. I can't remember putting on just the header portions of my pace setters, it was too long ago.

I do remember installing the Hedman long tubes on my 327 powered Grand Prix. They weren't even made for that application. I had to lift the car REALLY high and install from under. It was impossible to install from the top.

Best bet is to either ask JBA, or just have at it. The consept isn't too terribly difficult. If you don't know whether you have EGR or not, find out as soon as you can to make sure you order the right thing. It should be strait forward on if you have EGR or not.

Pete

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yaa the only valve i can see that would be anything isnt going anyway..its just capped off..so im assuming thats the EGR valve..and that its just not hooked up

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I saw a pair of headers on ebay a couple of days ago - they weren't headmans - but they looked OK

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
mhm, the only problem with that is i have an 03...i think im ordering the JBA's from autoanything or AJ-USA. and get they with passenger side EGR.

B24FREE

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I bought pn. 89400 1990-94 4.0 ranger Hedman header and y-pipe kit from summit last week. The headers fit like a glove. The y-pipe is another story. it was misssing the bung down by the cat for my o2 sensor , but had two up by the headers. I also had to cut it and widden it by 1/4" because it would not fit on the drivers side when you loosly bolted it up to the can and passanger side header. When I called Hedman about the problem the tried to tell me the reason the y-pipe was too narrow was because I didn't loosen the tranny and motor mounts and lift the motor 12":icon_rofl: Guess raising the motor narrows the headers together. LOL Beerthirty must have started early on the west coast today.:icon_cheers: BUYER BEWARE!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals