• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater control valve broke

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I discovered a little coolant leak from my Ranger a couple days ago. Yesterday, I looked into it more and found it was near the heater control valve. I took stuff apart to get a closer look and in the process one of the nipples, the heater hose slips onto, totally broke off. It was on the verge of total failure. I sure am glad it happened in my driveaway.

The good news is that part is readily available. I was in a hurry to get it repaired and every place to get one was closed or had to order one. I ended up buying a heater hose and bypassed it. The only time it is used, that I know of, is when A/C Max is activated. I intend to buy a replacement unit and may eventually install it.

Once I got the heater control valve out, I realized there is a mounting bracket on it, and I did not remove a bolt to get it off. It looks like the bolt fell off a while ago. That missing bolt may have contributed to the breaking of that nipple. Now, I need to figure out what bolt I need to replace it. The hole in the bracket is just a little over 12mm. So, I am guessing it is a 12mm bolt. I just don't know what the pitch or length is.

Does anyone by chance know what size and pitch that bolt would be? If not, I will just have to try a few and see what I come up with.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't help you on that, I don't have the same engine. My OHV has the 4 port valve up by the AC plenum. Your guess of 12mm seems to be well founded, and I would assume a standard (course) metric 1.75 pitch. Could be 1.5 find thread, but most metric fasteners I'vefound on a vehicle used the standard pitch.

Since yours is (or will be) apart, maybe you can help another member.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/valve-covers-and-heater-hoses.206713/#post-2013006

I don't know if you have the same valve setup as this guy, but if so maybe some pictures of your setup could help him. I was going to look at dad's truck and try to help, but it was dark by the time I was able to today and everything he was asking about is burried enough that I can't really see or photograph it anyway.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I tried a 12mm -1.75 bolt. It was hard to get to and see what I was doing from the top without taking all the stuff apart I did to get the broken valve out and install the bypass hose. I ended up reaching up from under the engine. It was still tough to get to, but at least I could see what I was doing. I could get the bolt in the hole for a way, but I could not get it in the threads. I will try a couple sizes smaller to see if they will thread in. It almost seems like the bolt is a shoulder bolt style.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals