• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

headlights

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i sanded and cleared mine. used a file to take down the nubs and the lettering, then sand paper on a block. started at maybe 220 and worked up to 6-800ish then cleared over them with an automotive clear in an aerosol can. its been 2 or 3 years now and they are starting to yellow but it should be easy enough to sand and clear them again.

btw, you do not need to polish them out smooth before you clear over them. the clear will fill the scratches and voids and leave a crystal clear and smooth surface. oh and ive got maybe $10-15 in them, just a can of clear and some sand paper. more time and muscle than anything.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
went to walmart here and the mothers kit is 56 bucks so its a no go, i have some 220 gator grit sand paper and some 600 grit wet or dry sand paper could i just use the 600 on it since i only have 5 bucks now after paying bills.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Where I work we just use the same stuff we use to wax and buff paint. Works well enough.
Word! Wet sand with 1000 grit, then 2000 grit, then 3000 grit Trizac, then white pad and compound, then black pad and grey compound........

That's what I do at work, but at home I have had decent luck with plain ole Mothers aluminum polish and a rag.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sylvania makes a kit. My grandpa bought one (advertised to do 1 vehicle) for grandma's 98 taurus wagon. Worked great, had plenty left so he did his 07 edge. Worked great again... called me up and said he still had a hell of a lot left, so I did my truck. Worked great. There's still about 1/3 of the liquid buffing compound or whatever left in the package.

Their kit is basically the compound, a UV prohibitor, and like 400, 1000, and 4000 grit sandpaper.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals